Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:00 pm 

Hi all. I am a total novice. just got my forst ever SLR. I am going on a course in june, but have started playing with my new toy. Not sure what you guys with experience think of these, but I can honestly say that they are the best pics of the kids I have ever taken.

With an educational course to follow and some constructive feedback, then maybe they can get much better.

Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for some constructive feedback...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 pm 

It can be useful to share the basic EXIF data (shutter speed, aperture (f/number), focal length) if you can find it.

With the exception of the 3rd one, all the faces are sharp, so you're half way there.

You need to think next about light, framing, and background.

Trees generally make messy backgrounds. #1 could improve with a more neutral background. Also, her feet are chopped off and it's a little overexposed - her face and hands have hot spots. The wing frame can be used to frame her withing the frame. You have her hand overlapping the swing frame. You could try a different perspective or point of view to get her framed withing the swing's frame.

The background in #2 is also distracting. The boy's skin is swallowed by the mass of pink.

#2 & 3 may look better in portrait aspect. Try tilting your camera 90 degrees.

#3 is a little soft - probably because of limited light. This is where showing the exif data could help.

It sounds like these are among your first photos you've tried to think about. if that's the case, you've done an excellent job. I think #1 is generally a keeper and should serve as a milestone in your photography. Try to create that photo opportunity again and look to improve one aspect of the image at a time (eg - framing).

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:08 pm 

Thanks Kimchi. I really appreciate your feedback. I will get the EXIF data when I can get back to the computer.

I am using a Canon EOS 650D with 2 kit lenses. 18-55 and 55-250. these were all taken with the 55-250. The inside ones were taken with the auto no-flash setting and the outside one with the sports setting.

I'm really looking forward to the course I will be doing in June to help me get off the auto settings and be able to understand more on the manual side of things.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:24 am 

Hi Coxy, welcome aboard. The kids was my main motivator for getting into cameras.

Gordon`s tips are a good read,

http://www.cameralabs.com/photography_t ... ooks.shtml

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic