Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 am 

Right now am havng a feeling of emancipation!
4 months have flown by inbetween.
Not for the quality of these photos, but to share something which may be not that known to all and just felt like sharing.
As there are lots of people in these shots so posting in this section.
Critique and comments most welcome.
(Tried resizing for web with irfanview and the exif did not get uploaded. Need to adjust the settings I guess.)

Making of sweetmeat:

and the lot.....

A few folk craftspeople and craft:

a puppeter wathces the proceedings from the wings, getting involved with the show:

puppets waiting their turn for making an entry:

a veteran:

proceedings on the stage:

intense involvement:

may be my entry for this month's assignment :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46710427@N07/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm 

An interesting set.

It's difficult to offer C&C on 27 photos, but I'll offer some general observations. Most of you shots look soft and muddy. Soft because of either missed focus, camera shake, or subject movement, and sometimes a combination of these aspects. Also, the colours seem to lack much vibrancy which I think is in contrast to what were surely very vibrant scenes. It's difficult to know the cause of this without any info about the shots or your equipment.

Curating your own collection is a good start to critiquing. Not only does it force the fotog to be critical of their own work, but it also provides the viewers with far fewer shots resulting in more detailed critique. Additionally, the viewer will be critiquing what the fotog considers is his best work.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 pm 

Thanks for sharing these images Jagadish. I love seeing other cultures and images like these always make me want to travel and photograph all of it myself.

Kimchi has some good points, especially the curation of your own work. It might not be an easy process to go through, or at least it wasn't for me initially. When you really have to focus on your best work, you might (I did at least) come to the realisation that there is not much of it (good work that is). There have been times that I came back from a week-long vacation and only had 5-10 pictures I thought were worth sharing. The learning experience is tremendously valuable though: you learn to analyze your own pictures, recognize what works and what does not, and over time you can apply that knowledge while photographing.

- Bjorn

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:07 am 

I agree with the above but I like the set because of the way of life you captured most westerners do not see.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 am 

I agree with what has bee said above.
I particularly like 5,6 and 14-17. They focus on (pun not intended) the subject very well. A lot of the pictures lack a story, I never quite know what I am supposed to be watching, they seem to be out of context somehow. Next time post images that focus just on the puppet show or just the craftsmen in street. But it's fascinating to see life thousands of miles away. Keep em coming.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 am 

Thank you very much for the valuable advice kimchi, Bjorn, 4xxxx and Woor.
I knew but that these shots were not the best but after a long wait of 4 months, was hard to resist sharing some. Thank you for the valuable time looking at these and will surely remember not to unnecessarily tax others time with posts that are not up to the mark.
But it will be great if you can provide feed back regarding composition for few like -5, 6, 8, 16, 19, 22 and 26. For 26 tried to caputre the involvement of the puppeteer during the show.
As Woor mentioned, the other puppet show shots do lack context.
Curation is a must but as Bjorn said it is difficult to guillotine overcoming the urge to share :) That is why I mostly appreciate posts fro others rather than posting photos my self. But then again without the guidance right direction will not be achieved.
Posting a few more photos, 3 that appear sharp to me, 1 definitely soft but because of the composition posting. 1 undecided whether sharp enough or not.
Could you please tell me how to check EXIF in the changed photobucket. Not able to find the exif button.

Folk singers

original unresized version - is there a diference betwen resized and original one!

3 Artisan

these 3 appear sharp to me

4 Idol maker (unsharp without a doubt and heavily cropped too)

5 dolls (undecided sharp or not)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46710427@N07/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:33 am 

The pictures still look fuzzy to me. I've looked at your flick account and some pictures loom nice and sharp, like the barber. I'm not sure what's causing.

Like Bjorn said, you really need to look at your pictures and select just one or two that are good and be critical about why all the others aren't just as good. That's how I do it. I easily take 100 pictures with different setting (exposure, aperture, shutter speed...), different focus, composition, perspective... and then select like 3 that I really like and process them and pick them apart in lightroom. That's how I learn.

Can't help you with photobucket, never used it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 am 

Forgot to mention that resizing just makes your picture smaller, it doesn't affect quality if you are viewing the pictures in a small format, such as on the forums or on flickr. It just helps with bandwidth and storage.

I always resize my pictures to abut full HD sized jpgs before uploading and ofc keep the raw files stored on my computer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:18 am 

A very nice set, I've always liked colourful Indian street shots and hope to get there soon with work.