Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:03 am 

Here are a few select favourites. As always, criticism is highly accepted.

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:16 pm 

Hi Trevor,

i really like number 2 and 3. With number 1,5 and 6 i somehow donĀ“t like the background. 5 and 6 backgrounds are too nervous for my taste.
Otherwise well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:51 am 

Thanks for the comments, but if you could clarify, what do you mean by "too nervous"? This description intrigues me :-)

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:38 am 

Hi Trevor,

by "too nervous" i meant that the background is a bit distracting from the main subject.
In picture 5 the high contrast between trees and sky in combination with the its uneven pattern distracts me a little bit. I would like the photo even more if the background was smoother.
In picture 6 the sun or sky to the upper left distracts me little bit. Somehow her face seems quite dark compared to the background.
On the other hand this creates nice highights in their hairs. I would have used a bit more fill flash maybe.

I just wanted to emphasize that i am not a professional photographer and that my comments are only based on the initial thoughts i had when looking at your pictures. I just think that it helps everyone more if one critizes pictures instead of just writing "Great pics!".
Because the tone of my first post was a bit misleading, i would like to point out again that on the whole, I really like the pictures!

all the best,

Matthias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:03 am 
Trevor, its interesting looking at these. Portraits is not something I've attempted yet but it is something I'm keen to try but I'm nervous because folks always want you to make them look better than they think they look themsleves so its a tough gig imo.

I think you've done a good job of capturing the family. The cake with this kid is a great choice of prop. Makes her look cuter and the colour is a top choice.

Where you've used a sheet as a white background I think its a problem that I've noticed it. Perhaps there needs to be a distance separation so that you can throw it out of focus using a narrow DOF.

I think the white outfit has caused you problems with the exposure outside.

#6 is a great family shot. I think they look really comfortable and happy. mbrandste is right though, the background is very distracting. I think there are 2 reasons. 1 I noticed they are dead looking pines, one of the most lifeless of forests. 2 The difference in the light across the background is distracting in this case I think. Interestingly though I think the foreground grass is spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:18 pm 

mbrandste:

Understood. No need to apologize for your comments - I'm putting the photos here to receive comments like yours, so thanks for them :-) Glad you like the photos as a whole.

ianganderton:
I can't take credit for the cupcake, it was the mothers idea, but I really like it and think it came out great. I may use it again sometime.

Interesting idea using the DoF. I do have a 50mm, 1.8 - but it's manual focus and I'm just not confident enough in it yet.

The most complaints I've had about any of my photos (this set and others) is the background. Clearly I haven't mastered that yet, haha.

Thanks guys!

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:17 pm 

I think the sheet background is more noticeable because of the wrinkles showing. If you hang it so there are no wrinkles, you can point an off-camera flash at it to overexpose it more, so that it's just a blank white background. I think that would be less distracting, and you wouldn't need to use your manual focus only lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:14 pm 

Hi, Trevor.

The first thing I noticed is the smoothness of the skins. It's Ok with the baby, but I think it is a bit too obvious with the parents (the processing I mean). But you know what?, I say this and then go and do exactly the same you've done. I always tend to overdo things (saturation/vibrance especially) in a seek of awesomeness. But that's quite personal, so maybe the couple likes it. Was it the clarity you used to make that happened?
Thanks, and good job,

Ivan Manko