Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: First portrait.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:06 pm 
I am quite new to photography, got my first SLR a few months ago.

Took a pic of my Son the other day,

i dont use pc editing software yet, (as i dont own any)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:07 pm 

If, by chance, I'm in a situation where I don't have my desktop/laptop with me to edit images, PIXLR.COM is a free online image editor that you could use. O'course, not as sophisticated as Photoshop, but it can get some simple tasks done. Good 'playground' to practice in.

Yungnuo YN560 + YN560ii (x2) + Cactus V4

WISHLIST: 300 f/2.8
FORMER: Canon 5D + 40D + 450D + 18-55mm + 28-135mm + 50 f/1.4 + 100 f/2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:38 pm 

A good free alternative to PS is Gimp, the free software has many features of Photoshop. GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program
I like the portrait however IMO the vertial bar at the right side distracts slightly :)

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:52 pm 
thx for the input guys,

i'll give the free editing software a go, i think this pic would benefit from a little crop to remove the bike handlebars and the garage to the right. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:23 am 
The image lacks depth and is extremely soft. You could try shooting on Manual to get more desirable results that would expose the subjects face properly which may require you in the beginning to shoot only in shaded areas. Try to stay out of sunlight unless completely necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:52 am 

I see you shot this on A priority f4.5 & 1/400s, perhaps around f8 for a sharper shot may remove some of the softness look, if you are concerned with camera shake, try increasing the ISO so you can obtain the speed you want.

Light and shade on the subject makes it difficult for the camera to determin the best setting. I agree with your crop suggestion which would make this a different photo.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:57 am 
Thx guys, ill try that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:29 pm 
This is not by any means a "soft" image. I like the shallow dof you chose to use for the photo, I feel if you shot this af f/8 the shrubs in the background would become more distinguishable thus distracting.

Here's what you did good:
Great moment, caught him exploring the backyard, I love it.
Good subject/background contrast.
nice dof, focus
good exposure (when shooting in sunlight like that you really can't shoot brighter or you'll lose to much detail in his hair)
crop on the boddy (you didn't crop on a joint or an unpleasant area of the body)
good equal perspective, one of the biggest mistakes I see when people photographing children is shooting standing up.

Here's what I think could be better:
yellow handle bar, gone
possibly a vertical crop rather than horizontal
as someone said earlier try to avoid having direct sunlight in the image, though this can be difficult when shooting candid shots such as this.
place him on the offset on the frame, bullseye is another common mistake. Look into the "rule of thirds"

Overall though I think you have a great start, and a cute kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:34 pm 
Thx Tomis. :D

The above pic with a crop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:20 am 

A more pleasing photo now that it's cropped. As you say you are quite new to this, I would suggest using the scene modes and see what the camera setting are and use them as a base line. Cameras today are so smart after $M of research but many including myself never use these setting. Perhaps I should look at them. :oops:

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 am 
thx for your input 4xxxx. :)