Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: leather face
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:40 pm 

i was out on the peir at port dover and saw this local fisherman
i loved his face

[url][url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28251536@N02/5782520503/]Image[/url]
DSC_9949aa by darthkindy, on Flickr[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 pm 
Eurgh why do people think this post-processing is actually good? Good picture but horrid horrid post-processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm 

I would have to agree with Christoff, IMO too much HDR ,picture looks great tho :D

--- Canon EOS 60D --- Canon EOS 5D MkI --- EF 17-40mm f/4 USM --- EF 70-200mm f/4 USM --- EF 50mm f/1.8 --- Canon Speedlite 430EX II --- Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight --- Yongnuo YN622 triggers --- GoPro Hero 3 Black edition ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:09 am 
im sick and tired of everyone on this site trying to be so politically correct and kind all the time....

If the pictures sucks...it sucks...and it does....the processing is terrible...i still don't see much use for HDR in portraits except maybe to enhance the sky and patch in later but this is just awful work and I think people deserve the right to hear it for their own good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:34 am 
Hi Darthkindy,

Interesting picture! And unlike my fellow posters I do like your post-processing - but I think it would be better if it wasn't quite so sharp. I realize that downsizing an image like this, may actually make it worse.

The image is almost olive-colored - but not quite. Maybe a full monochrome-conversion and some vignetting could make it more palatable for general consumption..lol.

Nonetheless, I like it - I think it's interesting. Great look in his eyes, good posture/pose and lots of character!

elijahschaffer - I don't know about political correctness. I don't think that Christoff87 was holding back much. And where do you see excessive kindness in these two short comments. There's nothing wrong with being kind....ever. It's not like saying about a picture that "it sucks" (which you are) is a good way to save Darthkindy from turning to The Dark Side here. It's certainly anyone's prerogative to not like something and that is never in question - but when you say something "sucks" in such absolute terms, you're assuming that it's so universal that there are nobody on this planet who could ever like it.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:29 am 

This guy has interesting features and I like the shot although I am not one for overdone PP (personal choice). Not everyone has the same opinion on a particular shot and we should respect other peoples views.

“Individually you can pick holes in any photo you take, that’s the nature of photographers”: Timothy Allen

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:26 am 
@lahlahsr, you are like the teacher who think being kind to the students and giving them A's in the end of the their studies for giving effort is a worthy cause.

however, it's the teachers who make the kids work for their grades that help them learn. Yes you can be kind in being honest but masking the truth just that you don't seem rude is just absurd. It is not entirely those two comments...it's the variety of comments I see on here everyday. There needs to be nice people but there also needs to be blunt people. They all balance each other out.

but I agree with your comments on what he could have done to make the photo a bit better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:02 am 

It's got a brownish faded 1970's vibe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:08 am 

He looks like Robert Shaw from Jaws :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:28 am 

lahlahsr, as a teacher bring out the cane. :) I have seen quite a few of this type of shot in magazines recently and it appears popular.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 pm 

awsome comments ( i thought this forum was dead ) and i was going to take my stuff some were different but you have renued my interest. in this fourm keep the comments comming ( is nice to see the passion )
it has been lacking as of late thank god for the warm weather.

I like the fact that you did not hold back i have come to the realization that i do photography for the masses not for you but you are the masses so keep them comming because you are part of the masses.

ps it was not and hdr i just wanted to see how far i could push something and still get what i liked ( i wantedn out of my confort zone because that is how we grow and learn so thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:03 pm 

pps
a challenge i would like some of you give it a shot try to move out of your confort zone