Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Engagement Shoot
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:51 pm 

Recently did an engagement shoot for some friends. I think the shoot went really well. They were comfortable in front of the camera, and behaved very candidly. It was great.

Started around 5:30~6pm and shot until ~8pm. Shots were taken with Canon 40D with either the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.

C&C and questions welcomed. Enjoy

Yungnuo YN560 + YN560ii (x2) + Cactus V4

WISHLIST: 300 f/2.8
FORMER: Canon 5D + 40D + 450D + 18-55mm + 28-135mm + 50 f/1.4 + 100 f/2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 pm 

1- Not particularly fond of this shot - she's in mid word/mid laughing, I find this takes away from the shot. Also, I'd crop the dead space on the right side out.

2- I see what you were trying to do here, but I don't particularly like it. The pose seems a bit too forced for my liking. Framed nice however.

3- Cute shot for a couple of 4 year olds - not an engaged couple.

4- This I like - it's a good expression on both of their faces and the slight tilt gives a fun feel to the photo. It looks candid enough to be convinced as an actual candid.

5- Fantact shot - I love it. I've come back to this one a few times and it puts a smile on my face every time. Great creativity. Well done. 5 Star.

6- One of your better of the set. I like that her eye shadow matches her dress. The photo is framed very well with nice lines. Good perspective as well. I like it.

7- Factastic shot again - The moving train gives a sense of curiosity to the viewer. Technically speaking the highlights are a little blown out, but other than this, I'd call it a 5 star.

8- This is a really cute one as well. The DoF is enough to make the subjects pop, but not so much as to loose detail in the background. Nice lighting directions. I like that the rule of thirds applies to the lady, cause lets face it, weddings are all about the bride :)

9- Mediocre - I'm sure some would comment on the fact they eyes are on different things. If they were both staring off into the distance, I really wouldn't like it. I feel like they should be both facing the camera, but if this were the case, I wouldn't be blown away by photo. Typical headshot.

10- There you go, that's a nice once. The highlights might be a bit blown out here again. Well framed and nice DoF for this style. I'd call it a 3.5 star.

11- I'm a fan of outdoor flashing, but I don't like the whole sitting in a tree thing.

12- Again, I see what you were trying to do, but I don't like the product. Perhaps if they were sitting down maybe? I dunno, I'll think about it and come back to this one.

Nice work bud, look forward to seeing more of your work!

Trevor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:22 am 

#5 is a great concept, it looks like a bit of breeze was around putting ripple on the water, then again, it could make the shot more interesting.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:09 pm 

Thanks Trevor for the thorough reply -- really appreciate your feedback. Helped me to remember some things for the next shoot.

@4xxxx, yes, it was quite windy that day. Did come in handy for some other shots though (i.e. hair blowing)

Yungnuo YN560 + YN560ii (x2) + Cactus V4

WISHLIST: 300 f/2.8
FORMER: Canon 5D + 40D + 450D + 18-55mm + 28-135mm + 50 f/1.4 + 100 f/2.0