Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:11 am 

a friend of a friend got me to take her glamour portrait she loved it any comments would be welcome (she is has recomend me to some friends)

[url][url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28251536@N02/5620496439/]Image[/url]
DSC_7615 by darthkindy, on Flickr[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 am 

Whilst it is a nice photo I think calling it a "glamour portrait" doesn't seem correct, especially when you Google that phrase.

I would class it more in the portrait or family photo category.

Another comment would be because of the tint on the sunglasses you don't really get to see her eyes clearly.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 pm 

I'll try to post again now that I'm not on my iPhone...

As I said in your Digging for Treasure post, your Post-Processing techniques I think take away from the image. A lighter touch would go a long way in improving the final product you've got here. The faux-blur you've got going on looks cheesy which is too bad because you've got a very beautiful subject here.

A few notes about portraits in general to remember... pose the subject for the age they are (this pose would be good for the "mom's little angel"-type shots of 5-6 year olds, not a grown woman), so in this case, lose the hand under the chin.

Because of where the hand enters the frame, we have no context of where it came from, and it's also cropped right at the wrist. Cropping at joints is a no-no because it creates unnecessary tension within the photo. It happens every once in a while, so it's something to be wary of (I catch myself allll the time!).

Finally, when dealing with glasses of any kind, reflections suck. You have to either work to incorporate them creatively or work to minimize or eliminate them. I'm assuming that in this photo you wanted to go "glam" so they are meant to be a prop along that theme. The reflection is just prevalent enough to be distracting in the frame, but often a minor head tilt or even a movement of subject and camera will remove the reflection. If you're dead-set on using the glasses in the shot, find a way to keep them in the frame where they won't detract from the shot in general.

You did a great job on finding a non-harsh area of light though, as the shadows are fairly well-muted and the highlights aren't crazy-bright.

TL;DR - Lose the hand-pose because it's not age-appropriate for your subject, lose the hazy faux-blur, and watch your reflections on eye-wear in the future. Keep up the good work on finding the light!

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr