Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:38 am 
Please excuse the quality due to the fact that these photos are linked from facebook and are compressed to like 1MP ahah from 21.2Mp to 1Mp. DANGE INTERNET ahahahha

but besides that these photos are just some I took of my friend Remi as we walked around LA and shot against different urban environments

Ill be putting more up pretty soon when I have time to go through more of them but before I go on editing a bunch of them and chooseing the ones i like I want to get some criticism and opinions of what you think

and it was all natural light and super windy so I was trying there were no reflectors or flash guns or anything just me and my trust camera

24-70mm f/2.8 and Sigma 85mm f/1.4 were used for the shoot on the 5D mark II

Last edited by elijahschaffer on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 am 

The lighting and locations look great here. I have a few suggestions
general - your model's make-up is distracting to me. Way too much and unnatural, although it's a personal preference. Also, her facial expression is identical throughout the series. Slight variations such as open mouth, looking away/up/down, smile (even if it's a 'Mona Lisa') could add some variety.

#1 - pink blotches on model's left ear and those RoF can be cloned out.
#2 - looks a little hot on her blouse
#3 - my favourite. Great compo and separation. If you were to put a gun to my head for criticism, I'd say that the bright blue in the background shouldn't be intersecting her head.
#4 - DOF is a little too shallow for me for this type of shot as her hair & neck are OOF.

These are all great shots of a great subject. I just believe that constructive criticism is more helpful than an endless steam of positive "nice shot" replies.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:00 pm 
well I'm glad somebody on here understand the point of forums is not to get compliments, that anyone can get from friends and family who don't understand technicalities

I totally understand what you are saying about the splotches and her blouse being a bit hot, ill try to underexpose that a little bit

With the third one I know there are things once the shoot is done that even I am like if I look hard I would change that if it were possible but you know firsthand that sometimes on the field you don't notice things like that because you are so worried just about the focus and exposure and stuff and comp that minor things blow over

its sucks though but you know there always things I would like to change in my photos I just sometimes can't always locate them lol

so thank you very much for your response, it was all just shot in the shade so thank you on the compliment with lighting and locations because everything was shot in back allies and lots

the part about the last one with the Shallow DOF, I know what you mean but it was extremely grimy at that location and I am just experimenting with new poses and shots so ill take that into consideration next time i shoot in the position

and with the makeup, i take that as a compliment, all of her clothes and makeup were supposed to be dramatic and over done, I actually wanted to paint her whole upper face with a strip of green, i really wanted to go for a glamour/vintage/innocense look considering she just 17 and I'm always up for experimenting

but i didn't realize that it came off looking bad or anything, these are the reason why I ask you guys for help :D

I'm still learning every day and I also have a lot of shots with her mouth open but her teeth are pretty bad so I try to keep her mouth shut, but I know what you mean with the same facial expression over and over again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 am 
17?! Really? I thought she at least in her twenties! Girls these days grow up way too fast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:41 pm 
yeah shes 17 but that doesn't mean shes not good looking or anything. So no worries why else do you think I picked her lol

thanks though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:30 am 
I never said she wasn't good look, quite the contrary. She is absolutely stunning, very mature looking for her age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:32 am 
you know I hope one day to go professional but what sets me apart from any other teenager who says "oh yeah, I'm a photographer" or "i take pictures too" along with every mom who says "my daughter/son takes really good pictures"

nothing really

just another kid with average photos. But I hope that I can get better so that I can open up a studio one day that would be great

better keep these models by me for the future for when they grow up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 am 
plus I just updated it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:25 pm 
@ elijah: I really feel you with the whole " I take picture too" thing. I especially can't stand those kids, who go from compact to high-end dslr, 'cause their parent's don't care what they spend their money on ;) You know what I mean ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 pm 
you know I am still a kid and I have owned a DSLR for almost 4 years now and have been making money off of it for about a year. I am just really into technology and enjoy taking photos regularly like today where I will be going out to do some senior pictures which I will be posting later.

I think its a good experience and you make a lot of connections living in LA, for instance my friend who is about 30 years old started doing photos a couple years ago and now she is doing a shoot with Phil Collins already.

its really fun to get to work with many different photographers and just get to practice a little and play around while still making some money back on my investments

but if there is ever a job I feel inadequate to do, I usually just refer the person to someone who is better than me