Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My first strobes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 pm 

I need some CC :D
untitled shoot-007.jpg by Radu Coman, on Flickr
untitled shoot-011.jpg by Radu Coman, on Flickr
untitled shoot-013.jpg by Radu Coman, on Flickr
untitled shoot-016.jpg by Radu Coman, on Flickr
untitled shoot-019-2.jpg by Radu Coman, on Flickr

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am 

Lighting to me is useless if the shot is lousy, I like how you captured the pensive face expression on #4, it made me study it. With no lighting experience I think this one is well done.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:49 pm 

Thanks for your reply.
I'm participating in a lighting seminar and those are field shots with some of the techiques we learned. The subjects are colegues.
I know that the shots are on the lousy side of the bad category, but I'd like to do better in futher sessions, so don't be shy, tear them to pieces :-)

Canon580EXII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:20 am 

Radu,

I did not suggest your shots were lousy, my apologies if it came out that way. :oops: It's just a matter of personal perception we all have and our particular subject interest in photography. If a photo gets my attention regardless of any technical or lighting qualities, the photographer has achieved what we all aim for, recognition. I have three shots posted in our local paper over the last few months, none would really grab my attention but the newspaper thought they were of interest as they are related to what happens here.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:09 am 
You seem to be on the right page with your flash work. May I ask how you are setting your flash up? Are you in TTL or any kind of automatic mode or working in manual? Are you using off camera flash on a flash stand or the camera's hot shoe flash?

I feel that your resent posted works are done quite well flash wise. I think the compositions are interesting but you should just be aware of distracting elements in the background such as the sign in photo #1.

I love the last shot. Emotion in not only your subject but the environment and the lighting is very mood setting. Great shot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:40 pm 

Thanks for the replies
About the sign in #1, of course you are right, I was so absorbed with all those new settings that I forgot to look really good in the whole frame. :-)

On the techniques:
Al shots with the flash off camera, on a stand, flash on manual mode, camera on manual mode, linked through wireless triggers. (No TTL triggers that cost a fortune)
First one on sunset near the sea, flash blasts though a white umbrella with a ¼ CTO gel (filter) on 1/8 power.
Second same as the first only the WB set to tungsten to have a blue background and flash with a full CTO gel to make the flash match tungsten light so the subject is balanced.
Third done with two flashes, one behind the subject slightly warmed with a gel, second with a reflective umbrella to illuminate the subject.
No 4, exercise in shutting down completely ambient light (it was a relatively lit place but a “bad harsh light ” ) shot with a reflective umbrella partially closed to make it more directional.
No 5, flash with a soft box on a voice commanded stand (the instructor) on left and above

Canon580EXII