Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Daughter Olivia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:57 pm 

here's a picture of daughter,she just turned 19

Last edited by RAW 1 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:49 pm 

A lovely pic & a beautiful young woman.
(does she take her looks from Mum.....or Dad? :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm 

Pretty girl, nice photo but a bit too much post processing going on there I think..... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:27 pm 
I don't know how to say this politely, but with that composition it looks like a wig display mannequin. You should have zoomed out/stepped back to get at least her shoulder in the frame.

Pretty girl though, she has beautiful eyes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:01 am 

thanks guys for the comments,yes i did some post processing. I tried this shot with out a flash only using room lighting and hand held, just couldn't get enough light only had my f/4 lens.(should have raised the iso to 800). and yes think the skin smoothing what hurt the edit of the photo most,maybe this year i can buy some soft lights with stands. but for right now it's just a hobby.

p.s. oldcarlos she has her mother's eyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:43 am 
Hi raw
Your daughter is a prettygirl and it certainly is a good attempt at flattery portrait shooting
my only critical comments, as there's no point in repeating anything is,
a little bit of head in a vice just bit tight on the cropping more so under the chin than on top and too many eye lights 2 maximum 1 imo is best.

Well done Raw I think you are right in looking at re-lighting as soft focus lenses are very expensive and many are not true soft focus just fuzzy like that terrible stocking with a hole over your lens trick that everyone once thought was so great or worse still smearing vasiline around the edge of an old filter
IMO from personel experiance I would not go mad on kit I did in the 70's and wasted a bucket full of money. I sold the lot and ended up using a couple of slave flashes manually set and a couple of brollys, throwing some fine net curtaining over the brollys really defuses the light. Oh and a tiny old sunpak slave flash I got from a car boot sale for the odd back lit halo shot even my back grounds were only cheap craft paper carefully joined to make wide rolls, some of which I blotch painted with a spray gun and water based acrylic.

Good effort though Raw if it was easy to get right everytime it wouldnt be fun would it. more power to your shutter sir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 pm 

Very nice shot and a very pretty girl!
I like the composition and the light, and you are right, the skin softening is overdone. I have a daughter of the same age and I tried on her the softening thing but it always led to an artificial plastic look. If you can buy a light stand, umbrella and trigger (around $150 the whole kit ) you'd get many more options , and splendid sharpness.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:51 pm 

Her face looks a little too soft, except for her left eye. This makes her look like a waxworks model.

Not sure what pp you did here, but it's too much for me.

Also, your DOF is only as deep as her left eye. Was this intentional?

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm