Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: First paid gig
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 pm 

So, shortly after posting my first Craigslist Ad (here) I got a response -- my first hit. As I specified on the ad, I was all about negotiating the price in respect to what was wanted. Personally, I see photography as a very customized service, so I tried to keep rigid elements to a minimum (i.e. fixed prices, X outfits changes, Y locations, CD with Z images, 'this many' prints, etc, all which plague Craigslist, along with links to countless blogs).

The client was interested in some portraits. She wanted some studio portraits as well as some 'fun, urban, creative' outside shots. I invested in some dirt-cheap lights (see my thread about my tests with those here) and discovered this 'studio' portion of the job challenging. However, once we went outside days later, I was more comfortable with that setting.

Anyway, I'll met with her later this week to show her my edits. I hope I've delivered what she was hoping for. I'm much more pleased with the outside shots than the studio shots. All shots were taken with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, 'cept for the last shot (that was with the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6).

Even though the price has already been determined, I'm curious to see what you all think this job is worth? (so I can benchmark from that with future jobs)

In addition, any suggestions for not only the images, but how I did 'business' would be warmly appreciated. Thank you all. Enjoy some of the 'favorites' below.

Yungnuo YN560 + YN560ii (x2) + Cactus V4

WISHLIST: 300 f/2.8
FORMER: Canon 5D + 40D + 450D + 18-55mm + 28-135mm + 50 f/1.4 + 100 f/2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:16 am 

I know nothing about paid gigs, but here are my opinions...

I'm not sure whether you should be posting your client's shots on a forum. I'm pretty sure she'd not be pleased if she saw them available for critique. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen other posts from paid fotogs who only show out-takes and not the ones they'll sell to clients

On your Craigslist ad you list numerous types of people/portraiture photography you can do, but most of your portfolio shots are nature & still life. I'd suggest showing only/mostly relevant shots in your portfolio. Also, your wording sounds more like a newly graduated, unexperienced fotog student looking for his first gig - which you might be, rather than an experienced professional - which your clients should see you as.

Unless you have a mountain of gear, I wouldn't talk about your kit. I think many paying clients would hope you have more than 1 body and a couple of lenses - even if they don't know why.

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 am 
I understand Kimchi lol nice name

where you are coming from on this
however, the area that decides what is right and wrong is left up to you

I usually have a signed contract that funny even mentions that the photos may or may not be posted on a forum to help better my editing and capturing skills

I know its lame but I make sure the person knows its extra and half the time they don't sign it so I don't post anything but most of the time they do and are tell me I'm welcome to post their photos

people on here a little oldschool and don't think outside the box, and don't understand if someone gives you the right to post something, its as good as on here as anywhere and this is the safest place to post something

so im not gonna be to hard and you and don't think you need to take them off

just make sure they sign next time for legal issues

I live in LA and idk where you live but legalities are everything here, that and permits lol :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:25 am 

like No 3, In my eyes is the best.
I like very much the B&W ones.
No 10 is very good too.
I don’t understand No 11, why the windows are in the frame, and the lens distortion is distracting for me.
The studio shots are nice too, in No 2 the shadow under her chin is too deep in my opinion.

Canon580EXII
http://www.errre.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:27 pm 

Thanks fellas for the comments -- really appreciate it.

Thanks Elijah for the heads-up regarding the 'legalities.' I do have a model release form for her now.

Kimchi, thanks for the suggestions for my ad, I'll make some edits when I update it -- thank you, really.

Radu, appreciate your comments on the shots -- helped me see in what ways I can improve with those studio compositions (i.e. lighting).

So, is it not common practice for occasional postings of images from paid clients be found on the forum? If so, sorry 'bout that folks. I'll remember that in the future, and keep those off the forum.

Yungnuo YN560 + YN560ii (x2) + Cactus V4

WISHLIST: 300 f/2.8
FORMER: Canon 5D + 40D + 450D + 18-55mm + 28-135mm + 50 f/1.4 + 100 f/2.0