Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:19 pm 
I recently bought my first flash/strobe unit, a cheap YN-460. I've always been more a natural light shooter, so it's a new experience to be able to shoot at around f/8, ISO 100 - 200 indoors :)

I also bought a 5-in-1 reflector set, the third image has a mix of bounced light and silver reflector.

Let me know what you think:

The 3 Ladies of the house by Cagey75, on Flickr

Flash a smile by Cagey75, on Flickr

Em and Kay B&W by Cagey75, on Flickr

The Giddy Girls by Cagey75, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:23 pm 
for your first use the results are great! the yn 460 is a great flashgun, though i experience some weird problems once in a while, it shuts off on its own after a short time occasionally..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:33 pm 
Thanks a lot :)

I almost didn't buy it because I've been moaning about how great natural lighting is forever, but since I've tried it, I love it! It was as cheap as you can get for a flash too, and it does the job nicely.

It adds another dimension to portrait shooting. There was only one room in the house I could shoot without it, and none of these were taken in it :)

The D200 doesn't like high ISO, so it's great to be able to keep it down.

Last edited by Cagey75 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:54 pm 
I think your photos are excellent. Very professionally done. I think any photographer would be rightly pleased with the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:16 pm 
Well done Cagey75 they look great.
So does your flicker site, nice macro shots

keep them coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 pm 
The sepia photos look really great! The light & editing are beautiful as well. Great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:03 pm 
Thanks a lot for the comments. I picked up some pointers from the last time I posted up portraits in here :) [I searched the thread but the images are long gone. I only had a free flickr account at that time, I could only hold so many images and had to delete loads]

That time they were naturally lit and it was all a bit new to me. Looking back on them now, on the pc, they were a little bit flat and lifeless. I feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
natural lighting is great,but always looks out for the harsh shadows. if you have a light reflector,you have nothing to worry about

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:42 pm 
I used to make temp reflectors with card-board and tin foil, but recently bought one of the 5-in-1 sets on ebay, a steal at €8 [inc p&p] - loving the gold one. I need to mess around with it a bit more, some sunshine would be nice ... raining every day here atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 pm 
I think that your shots are really good. I love the sharpness that you got without harsh shadows. Care to share your secrets? PP?

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:14 pm 
Sorry, only seeing this now! No secrets, well, maybe one or two ;)

Basically, I bounce the flash rather than shoot through anything, I find the falling light spreads better from a low-ish ceiling and gives you, pretty much, daylight. I sometimes brighten faces up a tiny bit in Lightroom using the adjustment brush.