Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 am 
hi guys,

a friend of mine does 5-10 minute exposures to photograph night landscapes. he says he sets the aperture as open as possible and focus to infinite.

anyway ive just bought the new 450d and am slightly dismayed to find that the manual shutter (called the 'bulb' setting) requires that you hold down the button until you want to release, which im thinking will be a pain if im doing a lot of these really long exposures. is there something im missing in the settings menu that can make the camera open the shutter on one press and then close on another; this would be much more preferable. my friend has a nikon d50 i think and im sure that his does this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:56 am 
That applies to all cameras, you need a shutter release cable if you dont want to "hold down" the shutter :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:06 am 
Or an infrared remote. I'm not familiar with canon, but my nikon D40x uses an IR, so check your user manual to see what you need :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 am 
dolsotbibimbap wrote:
is there something im missing in the settings menu that can make the camera open the shutter on one press and then close on another; this would be much more preferable.

Alex is right, use a shutter release remote. It has a lock switch that holds the shutter open and releases when you unswitch the remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 pm 
miki wrote:
Or an infrared remote.

I dont think that will work, the IR remotes work only as releases...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:12 pm 
The IR should work if the 450d has an IR sensor. For my D80, press to open shutter, press again to close! Easy. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:44 pm 
Grahamnp wrote

Quote:
The IR should work if the 450d has an IR sensor. For my D80, press to open shutter, press again to close! Easy.

Yeah, it's the same with the D40 - too easy! :D