Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:04 am 

Hello everyone!

I just came back from a kayak trip in Strathcona provincial park, Vancouver Island. The area is stunning, I wish my photographic abilities were better so that I could show you all...

Anyways, this was my first real attempt at landscape photography. My style is mostly in macro... And yes, they all look quite similar.

3. Image

6. This one is my favorite.

Comments and Critique always welcome!

Cheers!

Eric D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:13 am 

What camera did you use?

I really like #1 and #6 for composition, but you've suffered from the same problem we always struggle with - the curse of the landscape photographer, if you will: blown highlights.

The landscapes are great, I love the lighting in #4, but the highlights let you down in several of them. :oops:

There are a few ways you can avoid them next time:

1. Shoot in RAW (if your camera allows it):
This will give you a better dynamic range and a bit more to play with in photoshop.

2. Underexpose, until there are no blown highlights:
Your camera may have a highlights warning built in (overexposed parts of an image will flash when you view them back). I use this all the time. You could also use the histogram to see if there are blown highlights. This will rescue the highlights detail, and there will still be detail in the shadows, which you can bring out by tone mapping in Photomatix or a similar HDR (high dynamic range) program, or by dodging and burning in photoshop.

3. Shoot multiple exposures of the same scene and then combine them in an HDR program, and then finish it in photoshop if you want to.

4. Use a graduated ND (neutral density) filter which is darker in the top half, and can be used to darken skies, but this works better with straight or nearly straight horizons.

For anything to do with HDR or photoshop, you should probably ask our resident expert, Alex, for help.

All in all, the photos are good, and if you don't want to spend time (or money) doing those things and you're happy with your photos as they are, then don't.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

http://www.calummacnab.com

Last edited by calmac1991 on Sat May 24, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:12 pm 

Thanks!

I used a 7.2mp Sony Cybershot. It was the one time that I really wanted a DSLR and a wide angle lens :?

Anyways, the menus are extremely hard to use with it and to change settings... I will hopefully be getting my first DSLR soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm 

EricD wrote:
I will hopefully be getting my first DSLR soon.

Definitely worth the money - you'll notice a huge difference. Remember to take some pictures of this place when you do, it looks like a beautiful area.

http://www.calummacnab.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:59 pm 

It is!

I'll be backpacking near there over the summer, so I will hopefully be getting one before then.

Post subject: Ahh Strathcona
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:56 pm 

These pics bring back wonderful memories for me. I went to this place twice, once in grade nine and once in grade 10. In grade ten our leaders took us from Strathcona to Nootka sound to ocean kayak for a week. We wound up on this beach that was deserted and it went for miles, I think it was called Friendly Cove you can see it if you google it. What an extraordinary place.
I'll never forget that trip, it was a life-channging adventure for me. I know that I will be back there some day. Nice Pics.

Kona08 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:53 am 

Thanks!

I try to go there as much as possible, and everytime to do something different.

Heck, next year maybe I'll do some whitewater :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 am 

Hi EricD,

While I haven't been exactly there, the scenery is looking familiar nonetheless.

To my eyes, your captures seem very "real" to me as in, that's how it would look with my eyes too, including the flares you have (as I'm wearing glasses..lol).

The first one is my personal favorite for it's "cleanness" of both the lines and the water and overall composition. No need to stick with only macro :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 pm 

Thanks again LahLahSr!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:26 pm 

Have you tried using filters to avoid the tip of the back mountains from looking pale white!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:29 pm 

I used my sony cybershot, so no filters unfortunately that I know of.

But,I am on a quest to purchase my first DSLR!