Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: China's Grand Canyon
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:13 am 
OK, so it's not as "grand" as The Grand Canyon in the States, but it does have amazing views. The last time I went to Yellow Mountain it was winter and the part that I really wanted to see was closed because it's just too dangerous when the paths are covered in snow and ice....as you'll see!

Man, those paths are scary :shock:

All pics taken with D300 & D80 and processed in Capture NX & CS3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:38 am 
holy cow, i would not walk on # 5 i think it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:16 am 

oh, my ever lovin lordy. you are a brave brave soul, my friend...
what an amazing capture...looks like where the eagles live, in the Tolkein Tales.. wait til Lah sees these, he will freak....did you walk on these...omg...

scares me just to think of it...beautiful work, as always, CM...enjoyed this series...know you have more stashed away somewhere..but the angles on these are incredible...love em.

patti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:14 am 
that is amazing!! I have never had china on my to-do list, but those photos make me want to go and see for myself. thanks for sharing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:18 am 
I've seen a video of those crazy paths before. How did they build them?

Those pictures are great. The scenery is so rugged and beautiful. I want to go to China some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:01 am 

Great Shots... makes me feel like I'm almost there myself.

You'd think that they'd make those bariers a little higher and not out of wooden poles :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:19 am 
Nice looking place, i have never heard of this ( :oops: ) but had know alot of people that been to China!

Those are some really nice photos!!

I was wondering Mark, there is this "stone" garden in China with all these pointy rocks so to speak have you been there? I think you could get some really nice shots of that place as well

The 3rd shot has to be my fav, look at that view!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 am 
Wonderful shots Mark! Those paths do look scary! Are they open to the public?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:08 am 
Thanks everyone for all your comments :)

The paths are really scary! At the worst...or best...depending on your fear of heights!...the rail is really low...and I'm 6 feet tall so they seem even lower!....and on one side there is just a sheer drop. I think it's mostly psychological because I know I'm not going to fall, but there's always the thing in my head thinking what if I trip sideways...what if someone knocks into me...what if someone falls down the stairs behind me etc! There are a lot of tourists up on the mountain at this time of year, but we hardly saw anyone on this trail. The tour groups won't take people on this part of the mountain because they'll always have one person that will just be too afraid to walk it and I can understand that. I first went there a couple of years ago and this part was open, but it was really windy and they had security guards along all the sections and that really put me off and I lost my nerve. Then I went at New Year and it was closed so this time I was determined to do the walk and I'm so glad I did because it is absolutely worth the fear factor. :)

Graham, yes, the walk is open to the public from May to September, I think it's September, but then after that they close it because the weather can be unpredictable. I'm not sure how long the entire walk is, but we set out at around 6.30am and got back at lunchtime so it was quite a trek!

Alex, I'm not sure what place you mean, but it sounds good! I'll try and find out where that could be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:59 am 

I guess the constructors were only thinking of their own height when they made those barriers. I guess they never knew people could grow taller than 140cm.

Just kidding :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have much of a fear of heights but just thinking about walking on that path makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.