Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 pm 

Hi folks,

Just occasionally it does stop raining here in the UK and we've now had three spectacular mornings which dawned cloudless and during which the cover of fair weather cumulus increased. This morning, during a three hour walk, I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time so I would like to share this image in the hope that it brightens your day as well. 8)

• Camera Model = Canon EOS 40D
    • ISO Speed Ratings = 100
    • Original Date/Time = 2008:05:20 08:16:23
    • Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/160 second
    • Aperture = F8
    • Focal Length = 16/1 mm = 16 mm
The image is uncropped. The sky benefited from use of a circular polariser. Post-processing: A slight tweak to the levels was applied and the yellows and greens were given a slight boost so they could compete with the sky. Finally, a 10% sharpening was applied using Photoshop CS2 and a very light touch of chroma noise reduction was applied.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:01 pm 

Bob,
Great shot. I have been trying to get a good shot of a rapeseed field for the last three years and have not come close to doing it justice. Your picture comes pretty close. My photos never seem to catch the brightness of the yellow and the contrast with the green. This might be my last rapeseed season in the UK as I might retire and head back to the states this fall.

Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:52 am 

Beautiful...I love the clouds, Bob...such a beautiful day, glad you were out, and even happier that you had your camera...amazing what late spring can do for your soul, on a day like that...made my day looking at it...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:14 am 
I love how the colors occupy distinct places in the scene. They really help define the landscape and lead your eye through it. Gives the illusion of having two horizons, which is very cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:51 am 
Lovely composition and colours Bob! Really has great depth. I haven't seen a blue sky with fluffy white clouds like that in ages....makes me homesick :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:33 am 
Beautiful, really love the intensity of the sky in that shot!

I took this photo recently, but I'm a bit disapointed with it - the sky is really washed out. It was a crystal clear day so I was expecting slightly more 'blue' than that. Haven't had a go in photoshop at the sky yet, but I doubt I'll get the effect.

Would a Polarising filter have helped this at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 am 
Jazz wrote:

Almost certainly. Judging by the angle of the shadows, you must have been at nearly a right angle to the sun, when a polariser is most effective on the sky. In this shot, a polariser would have darkened the sky and removed reflections from the foliage, making the greens greener and the yellow a bit more intense. However, it would also benefit from some clouds in the sky, like Bob's for added interest. If you are sufficiently skilled with photoshop, you may be able to make the sky a deeper blue and make the foliage look a bit better, but a polariser can never be replicated fully in photoshop.

Bob: I really like your shot. Like Syncharmony said, the colours all have their own places in the scene. The yellow at the bottom, the green in the middle and the blue at the top. The clouds are just perfect for a shot like this.

Last edited by calmac1991 on Thu May 22, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:34 pm 
Jazz wrote:
Beautiful, really love the intensity of the sky in that shot!

I took this photo recently, but I'm a bit disapointed with it - the sky is really washed out. It was a crystal clear day so I was expecting slightly more 'blue' than that. Haven't had a go in photoshop at the sky yet, but I doubt I'll get the effect.

It would have helped - but, If I were you i'd get yourself some Cokin filters. They use a square slide-in filter system thats available for pretty much all sized lenses, it dramatically improves the quality of your image. Some images will look washed out in the sky like yours does there, but correctly exposed on the ground. By use of an ND Grad (basically fades from grey-clear) it will make the sky look darker, give deeper colours and still correctly expose the foreground.

When I first used mine, I thought my camera had gained the ability to shoot HDR straight off! The difference was that big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:02 pm 
That's a juicy shot Mr. Andersson :-)

Real windows wallpaper-material actually...lol..which I mean as a compliment I hasten to add, should you be a Mac-enthusiast.

The composition is very clean and as you noticed yourself, it has iconic qualities, embodying the quintessential summer morning.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:27 pm 

LahLahSr wrote:
That's a juicy shot Mr. Andersson :-)...

Thanks, Lah. See - the 40D can do nice colours almost as well as the D40. :P

And thanks, folks, for all the kind words. As I mentioned, I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time but when I look closely there's still room for improvement so the shot almost counts as a lost opportunity. :?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:42 pm 
Bob - thats perfect

just a side note, i heard that CP filters tend act a bit weird at "wider" angles have you experienced this and whats your take on the matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:48 pm 

alex168 wrote:
Bob - thats perfect

just a side note, i heard that CP filters tend act a bit weird at "wider" angles have you experienced this and whats your take on the matter?

Speaking as someone who is a bit of a weird wide angle I take great exception to that insinuation! :lol:

Seriously, I guess it depends on your definition of weird. 16mm on my 40D doesn't seem to be a problem but when, eventually, I try that combo on a full-frame camera maybe it won't be so good. I certainly find it useful to tweak the angle of the polariser although the viewfinder experience isn't quite as full-on as the final image can be.

Bob.