Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yellow
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:57 pm 
I was out taking photos yesterday and trying out a new "toy" (but more on that another time). A lot of the Scottish Borders has turned yellow with fields of rapeseed. I thought it was about time I posted some photos from the Borders taken during the day, so here they are: (there's quite a few)

9. Waterloo monument (Peniel Heugh):

14. Cracked mud: a very rare sight in Scotland:

Comments and critique are, as always, very welcome.

Last edited by calmac1991 on Mon May 19, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:42 pm 
Hi calmac1991,

That's a fine series capturing that summer feel with the beautiful yellows. My personal favorites are 5 and 6 for the composition. No. 6 has really good lines guiding the eyes and a good sense of depth.

With a white cloud-cover like that and some intermittent sun, it might lend some depth to your pictures if you can use a polarizing filter. This can also help you towards not having parts of them overexposed (just a few spots on the last image).

Only as a matter of taste, I would probably be tempted - in your situation - to boost the colors a little, to make the yellows and green stand out a tad more.

Good series and really nice to watch :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:04 pm 
LahLahSr wrote:
With a white cloud-cover like that and some intermittent sun, it might lend some depth to your pictures if you can use a polarizing filter. This can also help you towards not having parts of them overexposed (just a few spots on the last image).

I actually did bracket the exposure on a few of them with the intention of rescuing the highlights but in the end I didn't use it. I didn't post-process these apart from cropping a few of them. I'd like to say that this was a matter of principle but it was, in fact, just laziness :oops: .

I'll probably boost the saturation a bit and save the highlights when I put these on my website.

Also, I like 5 and 6 the most too!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:25 pm 
I'm diggin/groovin/liking the one with the grass aka n umber 17 i think it looks really neat, loving those lines!

Whats that yellow plant thing called in englsih, i know the word in Swedish for it but was wondering about the english term for it!

Nice shot Calamac, honest i have a bunch of these or same looking shots as well just hanging about on the hard drive, just didn't like the composition of them and thus i haven't processed them! But there are much better then mine so i will sit back and enjoy this enormous PHOTO SESSION!

nice shots mate, you seem to be a big fan of landscaping if i m not mistaken (by your images) and you seem to pull it of rather well :)

Thanks for sharing mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:39 pm 
I think living in Scotland is an unfair advantage over other photographers. It's so damn beautiful there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:41 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Whats that yellow plant thing called in englsih, i know the word in Swedish for it but was wondering about the english term for it!

It's called "rapeseed" or "oilseed rape"

alex168 wrote:
nice shots mate, you seem to be a big fan of landscaping if i m not mistaken (by your images) and you seem to pull it of rather well :)

Thanks! I do mostly take landscapes; it does help to be surrounded by such wonderful scenery.

Syncharmony wrote:
I think living in Scotland is an unfair advantage over other photographers. It's so damn beautiful there!

Haha I agree!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 pm 

alright. the only thing I got goin for me is da duck o' the day and I need one for today..(heck yeah, that is a hint...lol..)..Today, here, it is over a hundred degrees, and that's hot. I just straggled back in to see what is going on in the world of my Camera Labs...and here it is. The Borders. My most favorite. As I watch a little dust devil...(sorta a heat driven little circle of a dust storm) work it's way thru the pens, the horses are sweaty and itchy, I am thinking a cool spot is heaven...thank you Calmac. I' m
envious.....pure and simple, this is a gorgeous series, as with the others "of the Borders"....I have a hard time clicking on these fast enough, when I see you have posted on the landscape section, the natural one, because I know already, that something spectacular awaits...don't ask me to choose just one, I love 3, 6, 7 and 8.

am glad to see these, and wish you would make a book of them...
it would be well worn, in my hands..

thanks, calmac. you have done it again. Beauty beyond belief...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:06 pm 

I forgot 11. Bliss.

include number 11 in my favorites of the "yellow" series..

gonna go look at them all again...sorry to hog the thread.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:08 pm 
patti wrote:
sorry to hog the thread.

Don't worry about it, they were taken with you in mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm 
number 6 and 11 are great!