Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:47 am 
I like number 1! The trees sorta draw you into the storm.

So this storm is real right? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:53 am 
grahamnp wrote:
So this storm is real right? :lol:

Hahha Graham, that cracked me up. But your right in not trusting me ;) This time the storm was real!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:39 pm 
Lol I seriously can't tell nowadays. You can take that as a compliment to your PS skills though! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:35 am 
I myself am curious what the non HDR looks like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:39 am 
My opinion is that Photomatix does create some very un-natural HDR imaging... HDR is meant to produce images that are close to what our eyes perceive, not to make images that make you wonder if it's real or not! That's why I avoid using Photomatix... PS results are more pleasing, although it's a hell lot harder to tone.

Cheers,
HNV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:43 am 

HNV wrote:
My opinion is that Photomatix does create some very un-natural HDR imaging... HDR is meant to produce images that are close to what our eyes perceive, not to make images that make you wonder if it's real or not! That's why I avoid using Photomatix... PS results are more pleasing, although it's a hell lot harder to tone.

Cheers,
HNV

To be fair to PhotoMatix this shot owes most of it's vibrant colour to post-processing in PS with the three 1eV bracketed images combined in PhotoMatix. I'm afraid I can't remember to processing sequence I used in PhotoMatix though. Sorry. :oops:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:03 am 
The HDR effect in Photomatix can be adjusted so that the results look more natural. The surreal look is probably down to Alex's own creative decisions.

I don't think HDR images are only meant to produce realistic images though, I think the surreal(aka fake) look can look quite nice for some images and judging by the number of those kind popping up all over the place, it's catching on! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:26 pm 
Hi all,

I agree with you all, but, for a comparison, I never succeded in getting halo's in Photoshop while in Photomatix it's a common thing if you try to make it surreal. Even in this shot, if you look careful around the trees you can see the halo effect Photomatix creates.

Cheers,
HNV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:10 am 

Number one's a keeper but I'd say it's a bit "flat", in my opinion. Calmac's right too, the trees are too bright in contrast with the rest of the image.

Here's a link to the D80 manual -

http://services.yesmembers.net/yes/content/D80_en.pdf

The bracketing info you need is on page 68.

Have fun.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head