Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:24 pm 
I was of everything today, and my mother had called me and asked if i wanted to help her out run some errands, and so i decided to go for it! I m so glad i did if not i wouldn't have gotten these shots (camera always tags along) I m lucky that my mother always tells me when she is driving about "hey alex if you want me to stop so you can go out take some photo's do so" So we were driving by this spot and i was like "MOM, stop!!" What i saw was that the rain was breaking in with what was a beatiful landscape. Less talking and more showing here it goes:

This one is my fav!

Ok, i REALLY like the first one, but the second one is good two, thanks for some rain :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 pm 
Those are really nice! That sky is impressive and the composition is great. However, to make them look a little more realistic (if you want to) you can use photoshop with masks and adjustment layers to darken some of the foliage just a little (especially the trees). I use this technique a lot when I do HDR and I find it makes the most realistic shots (so that the foreground doesn't look lighter than the sky). A lot of it's trial and error and it's a matter of preference. If you like it better how it is, then that's all that matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 pm 
I love the first shot. It almost doesn't look real, maybe something out of a horror film. This may be a daft question but wat is HDR? Is it an effect you have put on your photo to give it this appearance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:18 pm 
mr_barks wrote:
This may be a daft question but wat is HDR?

Not a daft question at all. HDR stands for high dynamic range. When we talk about it we usually mean combining exposures at different brightnesses (usually in a program called Photomatix) so that you keep detail in the brightest and darkest parts of the image, especially to avoid "blown highlights" where parts of all of the sky, or other object, are so bright that the camera just sees them as plain white, with no texture or colour detail.

Cameras have a very limited dynamic range compared to the human eye, so when we see a landscape, we see detail in the sky and the foreground, but the camera might see a very dark foreground and a blown out sky. HDR is just a method of avoiding this.

Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining things!

Edit: The photos in my posts here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5629 and here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4710 are HDR.

Last edited by calmac1991 on Mon May 19, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:21 pm 
That was a great explaination thank you. So if i wanted to take a picture like Alex's first image how would i do this? I do not have photomatrix but i do have adobe photoshop CS3 so i bet i could do it in that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:31 pm 
You can do it in photoshop, but I have no idea how (I'm one of the few people here who use Paint Shop Pro instead).

I can tell you how to take the photos themselves though. You need a tripod (well you don't need one but it makes it a lot easier). You could set your camera to auto-bracket but I use exposure compensation to take five exposures: -4 EV, -2 EV, +/- 0 EV, +2 EV and +4 EV. I use aperture priority mode so that all of the exposures have the same depth of field and usually around f/11.

There is also another way:
HDRs can be made using a single RAW file from your camera. You will no longer need a tripod and movement won't cause any problems, however image quality isn't usually as good as with multiple exposures. If you do this, you should under expose the photo to avoid blown highlights because a surprising amount of detail can be recovered from dark parts of the image, but none can be recovered from blown highlights.

Good luck. I'm sure someone will be along soon to explain how to do this in photoshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:43 pm 
Calmac is right, its just as easy as goggling Photoshop + HDR and you will get plenty of tutorials, add the word tutorial for tutorials of course!

This isn't AEB, so to speak its single file HDR, i cannot figure out how to AEB on the D80 yet, i don't have the manual (if anyone knows feel free to tell me) or i will just google it and give it a try. Yes for sure the results are much better with the more images that you combine! Plus you get less "noise" when using more then 1 image, but it still works with 1 single RAW file and you can always change the EV on the RAW file!

Yeah the storms/rain was pretty much coming in after 1 minute of the shots, this is my first "bad" weather shot and i just had to HDR on it to enhance the darkness of the clouds, i metered of the clouds because i was planning to HDR as soon as i saw this. I didnt underexpose this photo it wasnt really needed!

And hey Calmac, thanks for that tip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:35 pm 
Nice shots Alex!

Good composition and drama going on there! With no pretense that they are even remotely "real" they come across satisfyingly grungy.

I could see the first one as an album cover for some heavy band with the members superimposed on the front and letters for a title.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:11 pm 
Alex - most camera manuals can be found online with a Google search :!:

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:19 pm 
LahLahSr wrote:
Nice shots Alex!

Good composition and drama going on there! With no pretense that they are even remotely "real" they come across satisfyingly grungy.

I could see the first one as an album cover for some heavy band with the members superimposed on the front and letters for a title.

Not to bad for running an errand eh!

I agree with you there Lah, but you know what i think give it that feeling? I think its that light post/pole and the thing beside the sign! Don't you agree?

Thanks Lah for the comments

Mark, didn't know manuals could be found online :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:52 pm 
Heh Alex,

sometimes the best opportunities occur to us when we least expect it!

Yes, the signs and stones does lend it something extra. I was thinking that it could be an ominous shot for a scene in a Resident Evil film or game too. Indicating that you had to go down that path towards evil..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:25 pm 
number 1 is very nice.. brilliant composition and beautiful shot!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 pm 
emp93 wrote:
number 1 is very nice.. brilliant composition and beautiful shot!!

Cheers emp! your a good poster :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:06 am 
love the first one. Has a really cool surreal feel to it. thanks also for the tips and explaination of HDR - I also am a dslr newb, and am still to get my head around so many of the terms and stuff. :D :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:01 pm 
Too surreal for me... The composition is great and looks like some sort of entrace to a haunted forest or something... but I think you took the HDR a bit too far. Just my humble opinion, but i like it when you can actually enter the scenery of a picture, because it looks real

but I do realise that massive retouching is your area of interest (e.g. the rockin' "I wish i could control the elements" O_o) but i prefer less PP

Quentin