Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: my backyard at night =D
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:45 am 
all done with MF, AF doesnt seem to like the darkness + no flash.
i like this one the best

i know this one is way out of focus, but it was really really dark out and using MF is harder than it looks.
Image making light people/stuff is fun, but i need more practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:55 pm 
just noticed i posed this in natural landscapes, shoulda been urban :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:58 pm 
Whaaaaaaa :)

nice backyard shots at night, i dont seem to be having a problem with AF at night really? It all depends on where you point that camera :)

Ever heard of test shots :P

Nice try there at the light painting, looks like your on the right track, try not to use such a big light tho, for more detail!

What shutter speeds where you using on all of these shots? 30sec?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:10 pm 

smiles...that is pretty neat...the view from your home...where do you live? Looks like so. Cal...!!

great shots, and attempts at light painting. cool!

patti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:19 pm 
Nice neighborhood ;)

now you just got me in the mood to do some painting myself! will do some tonight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:32 pm 
lol ya ill keep test shots in mind next time. i think they were somewhere around 15secs with noise reduct. i set it to twilight and liked the results i was getting so i kept it there. :D still kinda playing with the camera settings and such, and yes it is so cal! great guess.

oh and it wasnt a big light i just repeated the lines of the light paintyness because i didnt know if it was going to be big enough to see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:44 pm 
Heheh good stuff!

I dont know if i have noise reduction down, but 100ISO and 30sec shutter speed doesn't generate that much noise if i m not mistaken! Its a great start, and the only way to learn is to play around with the settings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:56 pm 
Just a quick FYI:

long exposures generates noise in and of itself, due to pixel-bleed. High ISOs generate noise due to the amplified signal to emulate a more light-sensitive film.

Experimenting usually the best way to go.

I personally find that it seems like noise-reduction in post processing is better on long exposures with low ISO than with higher ISO and shorter exposure.

There's probably a curve somewhere that can express that, but I haven't seen it.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:37 pm 
<---still in shock that a DSLR can produce such stunning pictures, those were all take at around midnight and it almost seems like they can be just starting dusk or somthing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:14 pm 
smiles77 wrote:
<---still in shock that a DSLR can produce such stunning pictures, those were all take at around midnight and it almost seems like they can be just starting dusk or somthing.

It isn't just DSLR's that can produce such images. Here is a picture of my backard (not great looking, but it'll have to do) taken with my Panasonic Lumix FZ8 with all manual settings.
This is what you would see with your eyes:
Exif Sub IFD
* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/32 second = 1/3.2 second = 0.3125 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 28/10 = F2.8
* Exposure Program = manual control (1)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 200

This is the photo with long shutterspeed:
Exif Sub IFD
* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 600/10 second = 60 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 80/10 = F8
* Exposure Program = manual control (1)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Yes, there's an enormous amount of distortion, but I think that the star-lighting thing came out nice.

This doesn't stop me from getting my first DSLR in the fall though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:26 pm 

hi,
just goes to show the FZ8 and decendants are not just glorified compacts, but serious cameras capable of serious pictures,
regards GCJ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:49 pm 
Yes, the camera is capable of serious pictures, but the biggest issue for me, is that if I print out a large picture (bigger than A4) the resolution looks horrible. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I find that the whole thing looks a lot less "smooth" and natural than a picture taken with a DSLR. This also limits the ability to crop images.