Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: desert..
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:35 am 

I have been so impressed with all of the landscapes, and the beauty of the places you live...tho these can never rival the beauty of the Borders, there is a starkness in the desert...this is where I have ridden horses for years, the mountains are the eastern face of Fort Tejon, in California..the biggest Spanish Land Grant in California.

These flowers are sagebrush...they are hardy plants that thrive in sandy soils, and can endure more abuse, then you can imagine, yet they are so delicate, that if they are removed from their home, in the desert, they die...the fragrance of the yellow blossoms, is a little lemony, with a hint of jasmine, and if you crush the leaves, or brush up against them with your legs, they smell like juniper..gorgeous heady fragrance...

This is where there are a million stars at night.

and something nice for you to listen to, while you look at the Desert and day dream about old California, in the days of the vaqueros..look at the pictures, and play this song, and see if you can not picture yourself following me along the same old dusty desert trails, as we bring the last of the cattle down from the low slopes. A dream? Yes, but part of it is my reality...don't you just love life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqWToeH-bqE

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 am 
Patti, that landscape is beautiful in its own unique way. Yes it's stark, yes it's barren, but it's also beautiful. It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit. Somewhere so very different from Scotland.

I particularly like the second photo, because of the hills in the background and the deserty plants in the foreground.

Please upload more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:21 am 
I' dont knwo but for some reason i find the emptiness of a desert just looks great to my eye's and so does this.

It reminds me of some pretty "far" out there books that i have read which are set in the desert. I have never visited a desert, of any kind but i would more then love to! I would hang about there all day i think.

Now patti for some one know the US map very well, how far away is this desert or any other deserts in the state from any bigger city? Because i want to go and visit and i would love to go to the desert as well, to check it out!

I think shots are really nice, very calming for some reason very you.

And that was some nice tunes to have in the background while reading this and typing this, and enjoying that amazing view!

p.s could i get your link to your flickr patti :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:42 am 

Hi patti,

Very evocative and the music fits perfectly. Do you get rattlers hiding in them thar sagebrush? :evil:

Of course in the Borders you have to watch out for the wild haggis hiding behind the rocks. They are getting a bit rare now and only a few years ago were nearly the cause of a diplomatic incident as this article describes. :wink:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:34 pm 

this is an area they call the high desert...it has hills, and is not classic and flat, there are all sorts of animal types that are anti-social out here, and yes Bob, them thar hills have rattlesnakes that will bite you, and they harbor the western diamond back, an occasional transient side winder, tho rare-rare..and something nasty called the mojave green...a rattler that has evolved into a killing machine...scorpions, and all sorts of muliple legged biters...lol..

If you travel more inward...going east, less then 20 miles..you will hit the westen edge of flat Mojave ( mo-HAHvee) desert, where there are joshua trees, and this particular area of photograph is about 100 miles north east of Downtown Los Angeles. I am a huge fan of
traditionalist Vaquero lifestyle...will get more into that in the future..

Alex, if you ever come to the US, the desert you want to capture is in and around Sedona, Arizona...I have friends who run a small bed and breakfast, about an hours drive from the most beautiful deserts on the planet, with sequara cactus, and stark red bluffs..quite the spiritual spot, said to be a natural vortex..I will make sure they treat you right...and offer you the comforts of home. THAT desert is the spot...trust me on this... :lol:
I will see what I have in my computer calmac...and make note that I need to show you these places, as you have broadened my horizons, with my beautiful Borders..

Sadly, here, Not a duck in site.

patti

ps. I love that music too...interesting this artist is from across the pond... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:49 pm 
patti wrote:
Sadly, here, Not a duck in site.

Here's a link for you patti: (you may have already seen it)

http://www.flickr.com/groups/730480@N22/pool/

And this one:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fortheloveofducksgeese_/pool/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 pm 

Calmac...I love only the ducks you guys capture, and post here......not ducks that are strangers...lol..

but I am going to check out these sites.

patti