Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:38 pm 
I seem to be going through a bit of a "sunset over the Eildon Hills" phase lately, but I'm sure patti won't mind! Here are some photos I took at the end of a warm, sunny day (a rarity around here) at Peniel Heugh, the site of a Dark Age settlement and of a monument to the Battle of Waterloo. The wall you can see in the first two is part of what's left of the settlement and the big hole in the ground in the last one is the quarry they used to get the stone for the Waterloo monument.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:56 pm 
Love it.

The medieval/dark age settlements always get me going :lol: :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:35 pm 
Hi calmac1991,

these shots are very interesting and look beautiful. You were out at a perfect time with the mixture of sunlight and the murky darkness below the hilltops.

They almost look HDR-like - but not - as in this is a rare, but natural light - that you have captured these scenes in.

I really enjoy all the many levels and lines you have going on..the eyes are gradually led through the images towards this distance.

Beautiful surroundings you can find yourself in there!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:36 pm 
Thanks for the comments.

tazz: There's actually quite a few ancient settlements in the Borders, like the Roman city of Trimontium in the Eildons (not much left of it though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:48 pm 
Wait, I haven't said I'm a fan of this series yet?
Well here it goes, I'm a fan of this series!

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:32 am 
I personally like the first and third photo more in this series....the second photo does not look as interesting as the other two......maybe its because the sun is missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:25 pm 
Gorgeous.. great work! Scotland is one of the most beautiful places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:17 am 

calmac!!!!!
I just straggled in from school, after a long day at work.. more then just a little weary, so glad to see you all here, catch up with your day, see your photos, wonder who would post a new one, and show us the day...thought to myself, I hope I can find that Borders thread of Calmacs..let me see, where did I find that...so many new ones here, so many new faces and great photos..it is sometimes hard to remember!

And, here, it is.. this new series presents itself. I agree with Quentin , of all the series, this one is the one that soothes my soul..maybe it IS the colors, or the conture of Mother Earth, as she basks in the diming light. With the promise of sheltering darkness, and restful sleep..you know they say women look their best in candle glow, so too does Mother Earth...that gold apricot glow, mixed with the greens, blues..while the diming of the day continues. It always makes me happy.

With all the bad news in the world today, earthquakes in China, and Typhoons in Burma, Tornados, Hurricanes that ravage us all, it is good to see the earth at rest here, as she toys with the light..makes me believe, that all is well. Thankful that most of us are safe, scattered all over the face of the earth, presenting the gifts of the day to each other..if your passion is trains, ducks, lightshows, cars, cats or dogs, it matters not. That we tirelessly post, from photoj's critique, to Gordons vast knowledge, BPs birds, It makes me happy to see the things that make YOU happy... There is nothing as beautiful, to my eye, nor as restful as the Borders captured for us all..just to remind us it is our sameness that connects us.. thank you Calmac, for a beautiful reminder.

Well done, my friend, well done.

something for you..one of the best songs ever penned, by your countryman Van Morrison...this is the song that goes with the Borders..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPUU2YdqPk

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 am 
Yes! These HDR landscapes that your pulling of these past few weeks r really nice, just a tad of HDR in them but it works. Looks to me as if you got quite the good hang of the software!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 am 
Great shots calmac1991. The foreground interest you've created and the colours are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:35 am 
Thanks everyone!

Patti: I have to admit that I've never heard that song before!

Here's a few of my favourite songs from Scotland that you might like to listen to:

This one's by lulu, possibly the best singer to come out of Scotland:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMM5RM6MO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfAJLGFWxYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3tNylJr7Z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKFYtUJFYVE

And of course there's anything by Franz Ferdinand or the Fratellis...

Alex: I've taken to generating an HDR in Photomatix, adjusting it in Paint Shop Pro and then recombining it with the original photos using masks and adjustment layers until it looks how I remember it at the time.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:37 pm 

Well, there is just so much to like about this neck of the woods...yes, lulu..and go check out Van the Man Morrison...(oh, could I be this old) that you might not know the songs of the 60's..."Into the Mystic"...

patti