Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:18 pm 
What do you landscapers do to cope with poor visibility due to hazy cloud cover? I'm in the Philippines at the moment and a couple of times have looked out on some fine views only to find that I can't really see very far at all due to haze. Seems to be the climate here, it still feels extremely hot and sunny all of the time, but there are rarely any blue skies. Below are some examples of what I mean. So are there any ways to get good shots in these conditions, either at the time of shooting or in post processing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:34 pm 
You can use a UV or polarizer to reduce the effect of haze. A mild HDR effect can also give the details blurred by haze more definition.

Prepare to see more of this when you come to KL. :cry: Perhaps a filter to go with your 70-200?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:30 pm 
Hi,

a filter can help as Grahamnp said, and removing SOME haze by pp.
Here is an article for Gimp, but in Adobe it should be the same.
http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/RemovingHaze/

A combination of both works fine.

ngc94227

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:23 am 
Thanks for the tips guys, I did actually have a CPL filter on the lens at the time, but I just don't think I have very good filters :D I've had a go in Photoshop at changing the levels and using an unsharpening mask, and there is some difference, but not enough to rescue pics like the two here. Think it's something I'll need to think about before taking the pic, rather than in PP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:46 am 
Have you tried shooting early in the morning? Is it less hazy then? You could also try some sunsets - haze can give you great sunsets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:17 pm 
Good point, I saw an incredible sunset last week, all orange and purple. Didn't have my camera with me though :(

By the way, I had a go at HDR and tone mapping for some of my original pics, this one has come out just about OK, but still isn't really a striking image for me, although it does seem like a nice sketch. I'm still undecided about HDR shots, as every one I've made so far has a good effect, but still looks a bit too fake for me. What do you think?