Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: St. Thomas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:31 am 
Hello,

We are going to St. Thomas in July. Any suggestions on lenses, filters, settings, etc...

thnx,
LOWEZAHN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:05 am 
St. Thomas is in the Caribbean, right? I definitely suggest taking a polarising filter. It cuts down glare and reflections depending on how far you turn it and gives you deep blue skies, nice green foliage and cuts down reflections on water.

You can read about them here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

Here is an example of it working in photos I took in Croatia last year:

Post subject: Polarising filter
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:21 am 
Calmac,

Thanks a lot for the tip! I will follow your advise.

LOWEZAHN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:55 am 
I'll be in St Lucia in July on my honeymoon :D. Polarizers are wonderful for landscape and beach shots!

I have no experience with them, but I've heard ND filters can be useful when taking beach photos due to the very bright harsh lighting conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:53 am 
Sorry, forgot to mention - If you have a DSLR you will almost certainly need a CIRCULAR polariser, NOT a LINEAR one or you will have problems with focus and exposure! They work in the same way, although they can sometimes be more expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:24 am 
Josh wrote:
I'll be in St Lucia in July on my honeymoon :D. Polarizers are wonderful for landscape and beach shots!

I have no experience with them, but I've heard ND filters can be useful when taking beach photos due to the very bright harsh lighting conditions.

they can be useful, but a faster speed can do just as much...also an ND filter can alter the picture a little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:03 pm 
Maybe Josh meant ND Grad filters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:07 pm 
calmac1991 wrote:
Sorry, forgot to mention - If you have a DSLR you will almost certainly need a CIRCULAR polariser, NOT a LINEAR one or you will have problems with focus and exposure! They work in the same way, although they can sometimes be more expensive.

I didn't know that. I have a filter set that came in a "kit" with my telephoto lens, and when I went out shooting yesterday, practically all of the shots I took with the Polarizer on were blurred (I had so many baby duckling photos!!!). I wonder if this is the reason why....... :?