Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:49 pm 
Here are some photos I have taken in the Borders recently.

The Eildon Hills from St. Boswells:

The view from Bemersyde (near Scott's View):

St. Mary's Loch:

What do you think? I haven't taken very many sunsets before, so any comments are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:40 pm 
They're all captured at beautiful times of the day and look serene. I'm not sure on all the foregrounds though - they're all rather empty. 2 and 3 could have their foreground cropped to leave a little grass before the stone slab. 1 and 4 could be taken closer to the ground to pull in the distant foreground. Looking at the EXIF on image 1, that one's technically sound. I can't see the EXIF on the others, so I can't comment.

Just a little work on composition from my point of view, but they're solid images.

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:29 am 
1 and 4 are my favorites, I think the lake on the last one is taken in a very beautiful way, maybe because of the trees bending over it.
The four pictures have great skies in them too

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:47 pm 

Sorry I was late.. :oops: I was looking at that Finch that Paukl posted.

Calmac, it is hard for me to pick a favorite with you! When I see you have posted something on the Borders, I can hardly wait to click on it. Your work is so consistently good..on this series, my eye keeps going to the fourth one. Soothing misty colors, everyone has a preference, that wheat color is one of my favorites, so I like the foreground, because it is stark, not a vibrant color, but a supporting earthy color, as if mother earth too, is taken aback by the beauty in the water, and sky colors, this time, she lets them preform the magic, like they are dancing around her..the colors lead you to the meandering river, to the mountains, to the sky, to the leaning tree..I think your capture of the sunset colors in this photo, really compliments the composition, you caught it just at the right time. Not too brash, and not too shallow in color.
It is the golden hour, you can not tell if it is the dawning of the day, or the dimming of the day..

perfect.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:02 pm 
My personal favourite is number 4, i love how the stream/river draws you further into the picture.:D I agree that cropping them would have given them a much nicer effect, not a standard rectangle. I think that the narrower height would give an enhanced feeling of a vast landscape. Nice work. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:53 pm 

Hey Calmac,
All pictures are nice, but #4 seems to have the most going on... I like it very much. Nice going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:26 am 
....... just fantastic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:28 am 

Simply love looking at pictures like that. Makes me wanna go to the airport and buy a ticket to scotland right away :)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:50 pm 

Excellent shots, all of them. Two and Three are the best though. I think they'd be even better with a tighter crop, losing some of the foreground wouldn't hurt and would lead the eye better into the images.

I used to pass those hills every day as I drove my bus between Edinburgh and Newcastle airport on the A68.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:14 pm 
I simply love numbers three and four. Love the way the trees seems to be bending towards the water on the left of the shot in the fourth picture, just a little thirsty.

The Scottish countryside is so majestic :D

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:39 pm 
A few more I hadn't got round to posting: (more of the Eildons I'm afraid!)

What do you think of them?

It's a shame about the aeroplane contrail in the second one... :x[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:53 pm 
All i can say is that Scotland seems to have a beatiful landscape!

I must go and photograph there some day, thanks a lot for sharing these shots with us, or with me!

It's now been added to my list to locations i must go and see!

There is so much potential in those landscapes, and i m craving to shoot there :)

i don't have a favortie one but i really like the last one :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 pm 
Alex: It really is a beautiful country, but the Borders is far from the best. The best landscapes are in the highlands, especially the west coast and around the Cairngorms. You really should come some day, but make sure you take a waterproof jacket and wellies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:54 am 

Everytime you post these photos from the "old country", as my grandfather used to call Scotland, there is a little tweak that happens in my heart. These are as stunning as the first set. I hope you go to the highlands, and capture some more...can't imagine anything more serene then the borders, but I will wait for the highlands, too, then..

I think I might be addicted.
The contrail in the image did not disturb me at all, in fact that is one of my favorites of the set.

more.

please.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:57 am 
Hey calmac,

Great pictures, I love them :)

However, for some reason, the dramatic post processing coloring makes me search the images for hobbits carrying a ring with a Nazgul chasing overhead :?

Cheers :wink: