Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:58 am 
Enjoying the first truly sun-filled day in many weeks, the allure of the coast beckoned me. Invigorated by a few egg-salad sandwiches, the company of my wife and two mini-wieners, I set out to capture some of the magic of the day.

This Fisherman's Memorial got me thinking of Mordor and how the Orcs might've erected a burial monument for their former lord and master.

The interesting colors of this beach-grass growing right out of the sand had me dubbing it Flame Grass and the rivulets of water retreating back to the ocean made me think of Galadriel's mirror.

...inside I'm still a kid, hoping to be invited to sit at the Round Table at King Arthur's Court!

Cheers :-)

(1/3200sec, F9, ISO400, 18mm)

(1/250sec, F11, ISO400, 42mm)

(1/60sec, F32, ISO400, 55mm)

All from my hand held Nikon D40 and 18-55mm kit-lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:20 am 
unreal pictures!!! i love them...

whereabouts in the lower mainland did u take the first one?? i don't recognize it at all.

and i love your last picture... really surreal. did you do a lot of PP on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:50 am 
Hey aruxaru,

do I detect a fellow Vancouverite?

Those are from Garry Point Park out near Steveston in Richmond. Great place to walk!

Oh and to answer your question: yes I did PP both the first and the last. First one was curves in the RAW editor, last one mostly some sharpening, glow and softening of the shadows. I tend to always fuzz with my pictures..lol..but the grass only got extremely light touches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:52 am 

Lah, they are so great...they don't even NEED a duck..
Lovin the first one...so solitary..and so ominous looking..
You need to go out with the "axis of evil" (the wieners), and your wife, more often. because it sure is nice for the rest of the world at CL to see.

Love the mirrors...and it is my favorite story, too.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:07 am 
born and raised in vancouver!

i gotta start following around you in your threads and get some ideas of good shot locations around here ;)

i love the steveston area. actually, i love the scenery of richmond. it's very laidback compared to vancouver and full of beautiful surprises. hopefully this summer, i can explore much more!!

great pics once again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 am 
...inside I'm still a kid, hoping to be invited to sit at the Round Table at King Arthur's Court!

Lah, you will to pay a visit to the West of England to do that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:18 pm 
I love the first one, it has the Medieval/ Lord of the Rings look to it.

Out of curiosity what is the second one? I want to say grass but it looks like plastic wire things.

The third is cool too, kinda has that foggy misty feeling to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:05 am 
Hey Thomas18 - I don't know the name of this growth, but it looks and feels like grass. Slightly thicker, but soft. Seen from above it looks red, but at the roots it has this bright yellow color.

patti - thank you for those supportive words:-) We try to go someplace we haven't been once or twice every week-end. Bruno and Brutus do not complain and I'm gradually wearing my wife down to the point where she might try photography herself.

Heh Defiance - true that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:28 am 
Nice ones, all of them. Great job!

Post subject: Steveston
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:33 pm 
If any one of you would like to meet up in steveston that would be cool. I dont live too far away from there and it is one of my favourite places to hang out.

Nice Gary Point Park pics by the way!!

K8[/img]