Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:50 pm 
Hi again,

Today, I took the camera to the nearby fishing town (well, at least this is what the place used to be, before being engulfed by the amoebic metropolis called Istanbul).

Having suffered from blown-out highlights in my previous effort, I reduced tone compensation and sharpening to +1 (instead of the original +2). However, the results were so pale that I added them back later on, in post-processing. I also found out that the Shade and Cloudy WB settings work out quite well in direct sunlight as well, maybe a bit too warm occasionally, but I like warmth :)

Anyway, here are some samples:

Fishing boats tied along the quay:
Aperture priority, 55 mm, f/14, 1/400 sec, ISO 200

Small fishing boats tied across the rally of itty bitty seafood restaurants:
Aperture priority, 31 mm, f/14, 1/125 sec, ISO 200

People strolling along the quay, next to the caf├ęs and seafood restaurants mentioned above:
Aperture priority, 18 mm, f/14, 1/500 sec, ISO 200

Yet more boats - I know you're seasick by now:
Aperture priority, 55 mm, f/14, 1/200 sec, ISO 200

An 'everything shop'. There are three of these dispersed around the town, and you can find anything from cutlery to fishing gear, cosmetics and even binoculars and tripods inside:
Aperture priority, 35 mm, f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 200

Yellow cab racing (sustaining 30 kph for a few minutes is considered 'racing' in Istanbul standards) along the main alley:
Shutter priority, 18 mm, f/22, 1/40 sec, ISO 200

I've waited 30 minutes for these birds to dart out flying in all directions for a cool shot, but they couldn't lift their lazy a**es off the ground, so I ran into them shooting in continuous mode. You can see my shadow to the bottom left :lol:
Aperture priority, 18 mm, f/16, 1/160 sec, ISO 200

One of the many passenger ships running shuttle duty across the Bosphorus - this one's styled after her historic, steam-powered sisters:
Aperture priority, 38 mm f/16, 1/200 sec, ISO 200

There is more to this set, especially some cool cat shots which I haven't posted here yet - see them here if you like.

Cheers! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:57 pm 
Nice pictures but i did check those pix AND I LOVE THIS ONE: http://flickr.com/photos/24125091@N07/2 ... 995790022/

its sooo great haha! made me laugh, bad ass looking cat :P

just out of curiosity what quality do u shoot in? JPG. RAW?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:08 pm 
I shoot in .JPG Fine and do my editing on ACDSee Pro 2. I could shoot RAW too, especially considering my on-and-offs with exposure compensation and white balance. I think I'll do that next time :)

I've posted the rest of the cats on the Wildlife forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:20 pm 
Hailstorm wrote:
I shoot in .JPG Fine and do my editing on ACDSee Pro 2. I could shoot RAW too, especially considering my on-and-offs with exposure compensation and white balance. I think I'll do that next time :)

I've posted the rest of the cats on the Wildlife forum.

yeah i saw them great shots!

i begun to shoot most of my shots in RAW, sure its a lill pain to convert them to jpg, but that is ok i can deal with that. But for post-processing after it makes everything appear much nicer and cleaner! But i sure do change to JPG when i knw i will be firing "non-artisctic" photography so to speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Hailstorm, great pics - they give a good feel of the area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:29 pm 
I'll echo what Gordon's said: your photos do give a good feel to the area. They're rather raw and your composition needs polishing, but that's all part of learning. For example, the cat photo that alex168 liked - perhaps you could have got down onto the same level as the cat. It makes for more interesting viewing rather than shots all from above or eye level.

But back to landscapes: composition-wise, begin to think about foreground interest, framing and clutter. There's either too much or too little going on in your photos.

Don't be disheartened by my comments. I set myself high standards and am just very hard to please. Keep shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:46 am 
Lovely shots there Hailstorm!

I sure makes me go back in time. The colors, the bustle of all the people, the organized chaos that is Istanbul.

It's a good series of "situational snaps" that are the kind of images and impressions that you'd get from walking on the street, looking around.

I echo photoj's sentiments so far as to say that these shots appear spontaneous, rather than deliberately composed. That doesn't mean that they are bad - in fact they are both interesting and pleasing to the eye. However, because of their un-composed nature, they will be harder to consciously remember.

In photographer-circles this is often interpreted as a measure of "good" and "bad" photos - but their ambition is to create very memorable images.

..hopes this makes sense..lol.

Thanks a bunch for posting them - I really enjoyed them and hope to see more!! This beauty of a camera is already serving you very, very well.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:29 am 
That makes perfect sense :)

Yes, I agree that the photos are mostly uncomposed and spontaneous, and this comes as no surprise to me, because they are spontaneous shots taken during a walk around the town - you all got me there :P

Anyway, I think I should master the technicalities and be comfortable with adjusting stuff quickly and efficiently before I can come up with more, say, 'carefully planned and executed' shots. And I guess shooting - and getting feedback - helps.

I think I'll be more choosy regarding my postings in the future, though.

Cheers!