Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:01 pm 
Hi there,
I've been having a real hard time managing my camera to create interesting sunsetpictures. I dont know if it's the composition (simply because i dont "have it"), or if there is some technical details that i dont yet master.

However. Take a look at these sunsets, and please give me constructive feedback with proposition of what i should have done different, or equipment that i need to add (filters or what have you...)

Even tho the pictures somewhat is nice and so and so... they are still missing that extra "umpf". And im very well aware of that some postprocessing might be necessary with this kind of pictures. I'm however not getting enough good material to work with i figure.

So, please take a look and tell me what i need or not need.

For full size and full EXIF, please click on the images to get that from flickr.

1/250 f/13 41mm ISO100

1/125 f/9 66mm ISO100

1/1600 f/22 17mm ISO400

1/320 f/14 28mm ISO800 +2/3EV

Thanks
/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:56 pm 
Your photography is fine. Need to know how you are PP your images...... as a lot more colour can be obtained say using a program like Photoshop........

......... sometimes it is hard to get colour in the sun and clouds as it is just too bright, you could try shooting a little later, or sit and wait and shoot a shot every few minutes, a tripod could help here.......

an old saying....... Photographers light is the first and last of the day.......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:04 pm 

Khol wrote:
...For full size and full EXIF, please click on the images to get that from flickr...

Nope, it seems as though Flickr is blocking my access to EXIF data. :?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:05 pm 
Thanks BigPix.
The pictures posted here is not postprocessed at all, except for picture no 2 where i did some simple levels and a little bit of unsharp mask. The original isnt very much unlike the one posted tho.

I have Photoshop CS3 installed.

I choose to show you unprocessed pictures so that you got an idea of what inputs i have to work with. I have tried working with those images but i cant get them to look any good. And i was thinking that i was due to lack of "umpff" in them. I was like thinking that these are not enugh good material to work with.

I will try the method you mentioned. Wait to the last light that is. Im not sure i can get the first light because im not very much for getting up early :) Will motivate myself to it this summer tho.

Thanks,
/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:07 pm 

Hi Khol,

If you have the original RAW files have you tried opening them in Canon's DPP and changing the white balance?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:09 pm 
....... shoot in RAW and play with the sliders in ACR to bring out the colour....... or if you know PSCS3 there is lab colour to get fantastic results..... but not something one can easy explain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:10 pm 
Good point.... i will check if i have the RAW and try to work a little bit with the settings in Canon-software.

Will get back to you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:29 pm 
I have just had a play with one of your images and there is a lot of colour that is not being brought out in the pix. Now how you want to go with the sunsets with PP is your choice, as the different look and feel of an image can be changed many different ways...... I can show you one if you like.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:09 am 

I wanna see how you tweaked them BP.

I think they are pretty good shots, Kohl, and Bob is right, about the canon program, it is pretty easy..(even for me.) and you can fool around with quite a bit...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:18 pm 
BP..

Please, go ahead and post your modifications and tell us what you did...

/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:25 pm 
Hey khol,

the Sun is a blasted nuisance to photograph..lol. It's technically impossible to not have parts of it blow out - the only thing we can do is try and adjust how much around the disc is blown out as well.

If you ever watch CSI Miami - or if you're old enough to have watched "Miami Vice" you may notice that they always, always have this really heavy grad-filter with dense orange for the sky. You see that on every single post card from Miami as well...lol. I've been there for a few weeks and it's a completely white-blasted blur. To make matters worse they build a lot with white concrete..lol.

Anyway, getting a rather dense grad filter may help - but it needs some controlled set-up/composition to not look too obvious. (which it does sometimes in these TV shows).

I can't say that I have had any consistent success, but I have tried to:
- adjust exposure down
- spot meter for something away from the sun
- meter for the sun, to at least get the wash of light under control, but risking that other parts of the image is completely black
- reduce the aperture dramatically

Still, it's very much hit&miss (more of the latter) for me.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:37 pm 

At the expense of a much more complicated post-processing workload exposure bracketing is also another possibility.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 am 
here is a simple levels ajustment.......

There are many ways to do this in Photoshop and the results would be a lot better working with a RAW file....... but this is a easy starting point and the more you play the more you learn.......

open image in PS>Image>adjustments>levels>at the top of this box it shows>RGB in channels>change to "G" and play with the sliders, then do "R"..... then "B"..... go back and forth till you get the colour you want..... the same can be done in curves

Now here is the bit you have to understand....."G" which stands for the green channel, adjusts the red colour, "B" for blue adjust yellow, and "R" adjust green...... it is confusion at first but try...... get a yellow image and add blue and cyan and see what happens, it all works on a colour wheel found with most information on colour correction ........ you won't know till you try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:30 am 
Wow.... thats great news Big Pix, and you really brought life to my pictures in a way that i was hoping i would be able to do directly at the time i take the photos.

I will take all your advices, go out at try to get some nice materials to work with (in raw this time) and get back to you with some new results.

Thanks a lot !

/K