Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 am 

Up in Syracuse (Ny) not snowing now, but there are some clouds. Apparently a coupe hours north of my they're getting hammered with snow. I just check the radar and it looks like Phillie is going to be clear soon, as for 'cuse, the system to the north is moving south so i could get hit soon.

Good luck!

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:58 am 

emp93 wrote:
Well i think what you need to do is use Tv mode that deals with the shutter speeds.. so i guess on a nikon its S?? But try using that not "P" because that will not give you good results.. use shutter priority mode and experiment (you have unlimited space for trial and error) and then crop it using whatever program you want.. most photo programs have simple editing like cropping.

And under expose or over expose really i dont know but you can experiment and see which one looks better to YOUR eye and figure it out.. i would think maybe a bit under exposed would look better because you can recover from under exposed pictures in my opinion better than over exposed (and by recover i mean post process). So good luck to me and you on this one.. and where is patti i would think she would be all over this topic talking about how she will get going takin photos.. :? :? come on patti take some photos :!: :!:

I recommend something between 1/100 and 1/400th

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys, not sure if it's all over yet, but for exposures, set your camera to manual, choose the smallest f-number, zoom in as much as possible, focus to infinity, and experiment with shutter speeds.

When the moon is partially eclipsed, you'll need relatively quick exposures like 1/30, 1/60 and 1/125 at 100 ISO, but when it's totally eclipsed, you should go for much longer exposures, generally below 1/4 of a second. It's worth taking lots of different exposures as each shows a different effect.

I would use a tripod for all of them, and if you do, switch off any stabilisation.

Good luck, and remember there's still partial shots to be had after totallity has ended!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:13 am 
Allright, i m all set now have everything prepared on the camer the moon is in a known location, the clouds have clearead away a couple of hours ago.

My minature tripod is set up the 18-55mm lens is fully extended! Set my ISO to 100, or should i use a diff one? I will play around with the shutter speeds as you stated Grodon!

Now all i gotta do is wait, got Scrubs to keep me company while i wait!

Thanx everyone!

UPDATE: from no where a bunch of fog showed up! :( hope it will leave soon, looks as if the eclips is almost half way, maybe a bit less

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:16 am 
I was just out there taking pictures with my film slr and the darn problem is its so dark i cant see the light meter!! so i took 5 shots through out my range from f/2.7 to like f/10 so hopefully one comes out good and im using 1/60 shutter speed so hopefully it works good.. so do you think i need my tripod a little later when its full lunar eclipse??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:16 am 
Site Admin

I took my partial shots at 100 ISO, but needed to increase my sensitivity a lot for the totality ones - but then I was shooting through my telescope at f10.8, so a very slow aperture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 am 
i'm an amature but a prido never hurts :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:35 am 
i just used up the last of my role and have just switched to some 100 ASA film.. so im going to probably using the Bulb exposure on my camera because the max shutter time is 1 sec. :shock: .. gotta keep steady even though its 20 degrees out.. do you think f/2.7 and a 30sec exposure is good enough?? with 100 ASA film.

I think im getting some good results.. i have good feelings about it.. also my tele lens is zooming in quite a bit so im happy about that.. these should look great.. im going to try to get them developed tomorrow so on friday i'll get them back and post them on here (i'll get a CD of the pics with the prints)

Last edited by emp93 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:43 am 
emp if its that cold outs, running about the same temp over here in sweden, use the tripod!

i wont awnser ur question because i dont the awnser to it! But i hope some replies ASAP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:03 am 
I'm totaly bumed out, the fog n the clouds came back u cant see a single thing on the sky and just about 1h ago it was all so clear! :(

No good shots for me this time, gotta wait for the next time we get one of these lovly eclipses, Emp i hope you got some good shots i m heading to bed its kinda early in the morning!

srry fellas i wanted to share these pictures but unfortunetly there were none. I would like to take the picture from the full ecplise to the back, just be checking in on the weather and its just going to get worse, we got this massive ammount of clouds coming in from the UK this night n they are staing tommorow as well!

good night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:17 am 
Its Pouring here i can't even find the moon! :cry: can't wait to see some of you guys pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:38 am 

I suppose I'll go first with my photos. I was outside for like 2 hours. But heres one I didn't do that great and it was quite cloudy so consider this more of desert than a taste of what is to come.

20 Feb 2008 Lunar Eclipse Topic

my Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:59 am 
I have some, but I have to play with them before I post it. I had a hard time with this. My other moon looks a lot better then the shot I have now :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:37 am 

Jake, great shots, and Nick, post whatever moon ya got...the thing to do is wait for Lah, he likes that sorta thing...iif you go to his posts where he lit up the little discs with a flashlight... the little round ones were all lit up..you can see what the man is capable of. I bet he will wait to spring the moon ones on us. I just straggled in from a class that b. and I are taking...but I caught a glimpse of the eclipse...what an erie site..but that is ok... it is my
birthday..almost...two hours or so to go....

cake cake cake...desert first works for me, great shots, Jake...

patti