Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Total Lunar Eclipse
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:20 pm 
On February 20th, 2008, there will be a total lunar eclipse visible from North America, Europe, but the best view will be from Nort America actualy! So lucky you guys (and some other parts of the world). According to the NASA website, this is a rough schedule of what to expect (in Pacific Standard Time):

5:43 PM - Partial Eclipse Begins
7:01 PM - Total Eclipse Begins
7:26 PM - Mid-Eclipse
7:51 PM - Total Eclipse Ends
9:09 PM - Partial Eclipse Ends

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/eclipse.html - Check the link for more info!

I though i just might share this becuase i have a very bad lens only up to 55mm and i knw some ppl out there have som wonderfull lenses and can probably take amazing images of this

The Eclipse will be able to be seen in Oceania so thats a good thing to knw!

I knw that it the moon will reach it full eclips stage at 04:00 GMT+1 in europe for those ppl in this region.

its going to be an early morning, if u snaps some pix please post them here!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:32 pm 
ARHHH I DONT EVEN HAVE A CAMERA!!!! and i live in north america too.. fooey :? :evil: :evil: <stupid canon for making my first camera bad and making me return it :evil: :evil:

^ well im not that mad but im still pretty mad lol :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:36 pm 
Please, you good people around the world.

Go out there and get good pictures of this event and post here on this forum !

/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you're all getting good photos of the eclipse!

We had one in the Southern Hemisphere a short while back and I posted some photos here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1199

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:22 pm 
I need camera, i need camera, i need camera, i need camera, i need camera, i need camera :shock:

I guess im going to take some shots of it with my old film SLR minolta SRT201 which will work fine with my tele lens.. hey gordon do i need a tripod for this?? and what are some exposure times because i will not be able to do guess and check with a film slr......

And the light meter will eventually disappear if its too dark and then i wont be able to accurately expose.... and is it better to over or under expose this? hmm i will try to get these developed soon.. 2 more hours...

time to get the film...

also i have a 135mm tele lens which in 1.6x crop is 216mm is this good enough for astro photography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 pm 
Sorry for the double post but this will be the last total lunar eclipse until december 2010!! ugh have to deal with a 40 year old SLR :? Also Europe will be able to see this too tomorrow.

NASA lunar eclipse times

Courtesy of NASA...

Last edited by emp93 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:58 pm 
Great to see so much feedback!

Cant get really good pictures mylself, and its not everday such things happens!

hope gordon replys to u soon so we can see those pix, would be interesting!

i cant wait :D to see it with my own eye!

i kinda wish i had a tele lens that would be good for asto photo to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Great to see so much feedback!

Cant get really good pictures mylself, and its not everday such things happens!

hope gordon replys to u soon so we can see those pix, would be interesting!

i cant wait :D to see it with my own eye!

i kinda wish i had a tele lens that would be good for asto photo to!

You can still take good pics with your d40x and if you get a really good one with the moon in crisp focus you could give it a big crop. I would still def give it a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:36 pm 
I will defently give it a try.

But how would i shoot it, over/under exposed? think i m going to shoot it with differnt apperture times that is for sure. Going to try it all way the from 30sec to 1 sec, i think! I will be using the "P" mode on my camera, and also try to shoot in the "A" mode see if i can get better shots out of those, i m brining my extra memory card just in case :P

how would i crop it, by using Photoshop using the standard cropping tool or should i use another software that is "better" at it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:48 pm 
Quick link to the time for europe:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/L ... -GMT+1.GIF[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:48 pm 
Well i think what you need to do is use Tv mode that deals with the shutter speeds.. so i guess on a nikon its S?? But try using that not "P" because that will not give you good results.. use shutter priority mode and experiment (you have unlimited space for trial and error) and then crop it using whatever program you want.. most photo programs have simple editing like cropping.

And under expose or over expose really i dont know but you can experiment and see which one looks better to YOUR eye and figure it out.. i would think maybe a bit under exposed would look better because you can recover from under exposed pictures in my opinion better than over exposed (and by recover i mean post process). So good luck to me and you on this one.. and where is patti i would think she would be all over this topic talking about how she will get going takin photos.. :? :? come on patti take some photos :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:21 am 
I will give that a try :D

thanx for the quick tips just what i need, now i m in a dilema tho...

should i go to be and wake up in 3h or should i stay up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:29 am 
stay up because last time i said let me go take a nap then i'll wake up i woke up when the sun was rising not the moon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:37 am 

I'm goin out at 9:30pm est so like 2 hours, I'm gettin my gear ready now, I am forutnate I have a 28-300mm lens on my fuji finepix s6000!

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 am 
did you read the link i posted from nasa for optimal lunar times.. us eastcoasters will have the total eclipse start at 10:01 but the partial eclipse will have already started by 9:30.. i hope it clears up but i don think it will because its snowing right now here in Philadelphia.. where are you located jake?