Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 pm 

Hi All, be constructive please, i am new to this and i have taken some different aspects of my area. One is HDR and i know some of you Pros hate HDR, so please forgive me.

This one is me trying to understand aperture and manual focus

This on was whilst walking the dog, looked better by the human eye, not too sure about the result

This was of a BIG BULL who was not happy with my positioning to photograph the valley

Action shot MMMmmmmmmm

And last but not least Whitehaven Harbour 5 different shutter speeds to give different exposures, the photomatix to create the HDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:37 pm 

Some criticism if I may (constructive, obviously):

1.- First shot looks a little pale and boring, and I'm not sure if you cropped it, but it looks a little soft, but I guess it's fine
2.- Second one looks pretty nice, but I think you can crop it a little, I think there's some sky and ground excess
3.- The third one was my favorite, but I think the background proves distracting, maybe you could've used a larger aperture
4.- The action shot feels boring, sorry :( (Maybe if you closed in on the car and panned it to create motion, it would've looked nice)
5.- The HDR looks way overdone, but in general aspects, the shot is quite good :)

Sorry if I sounded too harsh :(
By the way, what camera and lens did you use to shoot these?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:07 am 

Thank you for the points, exactly the sort of help and critism I am after.
I used a Nikon P500 camera, its a bridge camera, not quite been brave enough to go
Full digital.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 am 

Since your experimenting with HDR you must be doing some post processing of your shots, what are you using and how far are you going with the processing? Are you using tonal adjustments ? Auto correction etc?

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:09 am 

I'm using something called photomatix and pretty much experimenting with all the adjusters.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:32 am 

Yep photomatix is very well known to us and I use it myself. You may have overdone it slightly here.

Do you use photoshop or Lightroom or gimp etc for processing your shots before you put them in to photomatix?

Also for the shots where you are not doing hdr are you doing any tonal correction etc?

Some of the shots you have put up could be improved by some minor post processing.

Taking a good photo is a big chunk of the process but you will find that composition and getting the shot right are only part of the process. Post processing will make the difference between a good photo and a great photo.

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:26 pm 

Thanks for the advice, any good pointers appreciated.
I'm just getting used to gimp, love it and can't afford
PhotoShop, so will do some post processing on my next
Efforts.
Cheers

Last edited by mottyboy on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:25 am 

I think the first 3 has some slight camera shake, they are not quite sharp. At least one point should be in focus, try increasing the speed a bit.

Cheers