Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blurring water in photos
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:23 pm 
Hi all,

I'm trying to master the blurring water techinque, but am having trouble. I have read the photo tip section but with little success. I have a nixon d90, I set the shutter speed "S" ON CONTROL PANEL, change setting to between 1/30 to 1/4. Do i need to set ISO ?, IF SO ROUGHLY WHAT. Is there anything else i'm doing wrong ?. Or am i not experimenting enough.

PLEASE CAN SOME ONE OUT THERE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:37 am 

Hi there

there are various techniques you can use to blur the water or more slow down the flow of water.

The easiest is way i have found is using the aperture priority mode and shutter priority mode of the camera.

There is a really good video tip here :

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_t ... ater.shtml

Take some time and practice with a running tap at home or with a local river before you get to the waterfall or water scene you wish to photograph.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:33 pm 

ND filters

Aperture priority

Drop your ISO to the lowest possible (ISO 200 or preferably ISO 100). This will give you the slowest shutter speed possible. Then increase your aperture to the Maximum that you want, bearing in mind that going too far will introduce diffraction and lower your image quality. f16 is OK, but without an ND filter your may wish to go further.

If that give you a shutter speed of 1/10th second, then an ND filter will slow things down more.

A 2 stop ND will reduce the shutter speed to around 1/2 second, a 3 stop will reduce to 1 second. Stacking the 2 stop and 3 stop will give you a 4 second exposure.

In Bright light the camera should still meter through these filters. You could go the whole hog and get a 10 stop ND filter. If your original exposure was 1/10th with no filters then a 10 stop will give you just over 2 minutes, which will really blur water and clouds. However you'll have to lock you focus manually, meter without the filter, do the maths, add the filter, and use a remote shutter release locked down or intervalometer to time the shot.

I've written up my technique on this of forum, with a link to a table for calculating shutter speeds. Search through my old posts...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm 

I agree with the above comments, here's my attempts at blurring, I used all 3 ND filters (2,4, and 8) and manged to get 30 second exposures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriseeeeees/7439908404/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriseeeeees/7439927638/

Manfrotto 290 Tripod
Nd Filters 2, 4, 8
UV Filter
Polariser