Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:55 pm 

Hey guys, we had a big dump the other day so I went out after dark for some pics. This was my first time shooting at night. I put my new manfrotto 190xprob and 460mg head to use!! All were shot about 20-30second exposures on D7000, 18-200mm camera most of them at ISO 400.

I got my frist SLR about 3 months ago so would appreciate some critique on the photos as well as any adjustment to settings i could do next time for night photos....thanks!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:55 am 

The set captures how bleak it is, nice. I haven't shot at night or dusk so I cannot help with any tips. I'm wondering why you shot spot metering mode.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am 

Some interesting shots. You might want to consider some cropping to give a more defined subject. For example in the first shot if you crop off the left side so that you just have the tree line and the path in the shot your eye is not distracted by the snowman and the goal posts. In the 3rd shot you could try cropping off the goal posts so that the snowmen are the subject. With the house shot try cropping off what is outside each of the tree trunks either side, again so you have a main subject for your eye and no distractions.

The other thing you might look at is adjusting your white point as the shots seem to have a colour cast and the snow does not look as white as it might.

The light trail shots are great.

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:38 pm 

4xxxx-- thanks, I have been trying to read up on snow photos and I saw a fee places recommending to spot meter for the snow and then over overexpose roughly one stop as due to the camera wanting to underexpose the white and make it 18% gray. Maybe someone knows more about this, but that was my reasoning.

keystrokesuk- great stuff, thanks for the tips, cropping as you suggested should make them look better!! Ill play around with white balance since I shot in raw and see if they look any better.