Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:05 pm 

Traveled from Seattle WA to EL Paso TX and stopped plenty of places along the way. As I get the pictures thru PP I'll post them here. Right now, two of my faves:

This first is a scenic overlook from somewhere in Utah. This is a 3-shot composition. I'm not happy about the shadow on the left, that's the pavilion at the stop. I should have taken the picture from inside the pavilion
Open Fields by sherpa1d, on Flickr

This was at the Sunset Point rest stop between Flagstaff and Phoenix AZ. This was done with 10-shots which gives it a noticeable fisheye. I kind of like it but as always I love to hear comments
Sunset Point by sherpa1d, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 am 

This is the west side of the Grand Canyon near the Skywalk bridge
Grand Canyon West by sherpa1d, on Flickr

These next couple were at the South in the actual Grand Canyon Park. I highly recommend this over the west and the Skywalk. These were horibly fogged and rained in.
Grand Canyon South Bad Fog by sherpa1d, on Flickr

Grand Canyon South Pano by sherpa1d, on Flickr

This was a quick one from the car window. It was on a horrible dirt road you have to take to get to the Skywalk. I didn't feel safe getting out of the car much less come to a complete stop for more than a second
Bute Near West Gate of Grand Canyon by sherpa1d, on Flickr

Perrine Memorial Bridge, Twin Falls ID. I highly recommend if you go thru ID to stop in Twin Falls for a couple of days for photography, I hate my trip was so rushed. The sun was a little too far down.
Perrine Bridge, Twin Falls ID by sherpa1d, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 pm 

You're right about the shadow mate but sometimes these things aren't noticed at the time. I feel your pain. Having said that taken as a whole these are great shots. All are technically excellent but the winners are 2, 4 & 7. 2 because it's beautiful. It's a stunning view to my eyes. 4 is good too because it has some foreground interest which also adds a sense of scale. That seems to be difficult for people to achieve at the Grand Canyon. If I could afford it I'd like to go there and prove myself right :lol: I like 7 because I really, really like bridges. I like the symmetry of them and I like how despite this they can actually add to a landscape. Your shot captures that perfectly.

It's becoming quite common for Man & Nature to be portrayed as some kind of competing entities and they're not. We are nature.

zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:51 am 

Thanks for the comments :) ! I kind of torn, between 1 and 2 to do a large print for my new house. 4 and 5 took a lot of work with-in HDR Pro to get what I was able to post here, I have a few more still to work on. You are right about that bridge, it is such a great contrast with the steel an rock. I still really wish I had more time. I would head that way again just to shoot it. I have a few more of a bald eagle flying in that valley to post that will give you an idea of the size of that valley. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:03 am 

Hi Hiking,

i like picture 1 alot. The colors are very pleasant!
Actually i didnĀ“t really see that shadow until you mentioned it. I even think that the image benefits from the shadow because the foreground gets a bit more structure.
In picture 3 to 7 i would personally bump up the contrast/saturation/blacklevels a little bit, to make them look punchier. But thats personal taste.

Matthias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 am 

Still have more to post. I love taking the picture but I just can't motivate myself to do the PP sometimes.

This is plan boring desert mountains :lol: Franklin Mountains, El Paso TX. That is a strip-pit on the left. I cloned out a few buildings and trucks.
Franklin Mountains, El Paso TX by sherpa1d, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 pm 

I really like the second one. But why does the sky in middle look darker, did you not lock exposure or was it actually like that :?