Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 pm 
Hi everyone, it's been a while since i last posted. I've got over my initial mindset that having the right gear was everything! I'm now really putting effort into composition and laying off the spending, however, a CPL is on the cards.

I'd be grateful for some comments and criticisms!

I'm most happy with the last one.

F/4, 1/13s, ISO400, 50mm

F/9, 1/400s, ISO100, 17mm

F/9, 1/500s, ISO100, 13mm

F/9, 1/500s, ISO100, 18mm

F/9, 1/500s, ISO100, 10mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:00 pm 
Looks like some nice shots there, I agree I like the last one best. It would look even better with a CPL so get that asap. I was blown away how much better my shots looked after I got mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:23 pm 

I agree with kev83202 and yourself about getting a CPL. I think that the skies in some of the pictures would have benifited.

As you said, the last picture is the best, but No 3 (b/w of the pier - just celebrated its first year after being rebuilt following the fire) is quite good, maybe a CPL would have just brought out something in the sky.

Also, in the first picture, I like the light and colours you caught in the water in the curve of the bay.

Pentax k-30 and k-x with DAL 18-55mm and DAL 55-300mm, Tamron 18-50mm and Camera Labs Straps.....hang on, where's my towel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:50 am 
Hi Mitchell86

I like the first one but I think its not as sharp as it should be

#2 - I think its a bit too busy. I think the focus should be the boats in the foreground but they blend into the background too much. Maybe getting closer and opening up the aperture would have helped.

#3 - I like this, the B&W is great for the nostaligic British beach scene but I think you should have got the pier starting in the bottom left of the image to create a strong diagonal.

#4 I like the composition of this one. Its a nice shot, the crop works really well. Its just lacking a focal point. It will fit in well with a set of photos though building up the picture of a seaside town.

#5 Its a great shot. Excellent composition and great colours in the beach and the sky, this would get clicked on even as a thumbnail. The strong diagonal leads the eye through the whole story. The people in the foreground are interesting, as are the kids in the sea. The big wheel catches the eye too. Classic british seaside holiday town in full swing, gawd jawb!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:41 am 

Hello, Mitchell! We're glad to have you back at the forums!

You have some excellent shots in your collection, I'm assuming that aside from the first shot, they were all done with either your 18-55 or your Sigma 10-20? They're all great pictures, but I'll try to give a bit of constructive criticism to help for the future.

The first shot is nicely composed, but it appears that the focus was wither off, or more probably, there was a bit of motion blur as you shot at 1/13s. To avoid this, try opening up your lens (did you do this with your 18-55 or your 50 1.8?). Of you used your 50mm, don't be afraid to open all the way up to 1.8, and if you used the kit lens, bump up your ISO. Modern DSLRs are designed to surpass ISO 1000, and although your result won't be as clean, it will still be plenty usable. You can even use NR software such as Noise Ninja, a favorite of mine.
Another way to get around blur like this is to simply use a tripod. That would probably be your best bet, but tripods are also heavy to lug around, and can be expensive. If you don't mind carrying one around though, it's a very nice tool to have. Consider a Gorillapod SLR Zoom for a lighter option, or perhaps a small monopod.

As Ian mentioned, your second shot seems a bit busy. I would've gotten a bit closer in, and tried a few different angles (ex: from the wall, from a low angle on the pavement, etc.). Curves and slopes can really improve a photo, so exaggerating or emphasizing the curved wall hay have made it a bit more interesting and appealing. It also seems a bit overexposed and blown out in some areas, so try to avoid that when shooting white objects in broad daylight. Sometimes the noon hours aren't the best for photography as the light is harsh, and it can also make quite harsh shadows.

The third is excellent, the black and white really makes the shot. However, with a flat surface like the ocean in your photo, it's important to make sure that your horizon's flat. You can do this using your camera's virtual horizon, a level built into a tripod or cropping in Photoshop afterwards.

The fourth is also very nice, but again, make sure that you have a flat horizon. It looks pretty even to me, but it may be a slight bit off. It would also be interesting to see a bit less ocean and a bit more land, but that's my personal opinion. Without seeing it both ways I can't tell you which one I think would look better.
This is where a CPL would've done wonders, so keep that in mind for next time.

The last is also my favorite, the lighting is very nice. It really warms up the sand, and gives a nice reflection on the ocean. Nothing to complain about here, you hammered the nail on the head!

By the way, although it's to be expected when shooting at extreme wide angles like in these shots, lots of them seem very distorted around the edges. This may be something to consider when post processing them, the buildings along the sides seen very slanted.

Hopefully I helped,
Regards,
-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams