Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:39 pm 
Went out yesterday evening, cloudy day really by the lake and took a series of shots, then used a program to stitch them together

Your thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:47 am 

well i think your image is underexposed, wrong white balance, and way to wide, maybe you could try the same thing with dialing a bit of +EV and taking max 3 shots for a pano.

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:31 am 

Underexposed - yes

Too wide - not necessarily? Maybe syndicate1 was after a wide sweep

3 shots max - not necessarily good advice. You can stitch as many shots together as you like. It's better to:

not use too wide a wide angle - this results in more distortion, which make for a more difficult stitch

keep your horizon level and then crop if required - not keeping you horizon level, i.e. pitching the camera and lens down or up, can result in a wavy horizon as you see here

switch to manual focussing and manual white balance. That way you have consistency in the exposures throughout the stitch, and edit later.

It's best to visualise the view you want to stitch, take a meter reading of the brightest part of the panorama, switch the camera to full manual and dial in the shutter speed that exposes the brightest points best, and then take the shots.

1/3rd overlap between shots is a good guide, but again it depends on focal length - the longer the focal length, the less overlap is required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:49 am 

Agree it is underexposed and seems to have the wrong white balance.

Regarding using too wide lenses, I have no isuses using 14mm lens to take panos, distortion can be corrected. Though to be fair I usually use a 14mm for 360 shots, it is too wide for this shot as most likely most of the pano woudl have been in shot already. If you want a nice large pano with lots of detail, often a tighter focal length with loads of shots is better.

I also tend to, but not always, shoot in full manual, i.e. focus, w/b, aperture (critical) and shutter speed (plus ISO). I do similar with a gigapixel head, which has the option (which I use) to display a checklist to ensure you have remembered to do everything manually.

A warning on the overlapp, if you overlapp too much it can cause stitching errors. I usually go for around 20% - 30% overlapp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:01 am 
I'll like to thank everyone that chipped in with a comment, I really appreciated what you had to say. I took all that and went back to the same place, 5mins from my house and took news pics this afternoon. These are the results

NON PANORAMIC SHOT ( straight from the camera, no processing )