Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm 
Hey Guys,

I haven't posted anything in quite a while and just wanted to get some advice for some of my recent photos.

Taken yesterday using my EFs 10-22 @ 10mm

So yeah, i hope you guys like these.

If anyone has any extra time, i have a bunch of other photos on my flickr that could use advice.

Thanks again!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 am 

Great water mark.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 am 

You're dealing with some extremes of lighting there - I'd consider learning to bracket and process them (either manually blending or using Photomatix trial for exposure fusion or subtle HDR)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:37 pm 
Ok here comes some advice.

You have some great skies happening here, but that is not always enough to make a compelling photo. Try to be more creative with incorporation your foreground and arranging subjects in the frame that draws interest. Try using different focal lengths or getting closer to the ground.

Some of the exposures are pretty unbalanced, try using a GND filter or bracketing and blending (as someone already suggested).

There is dust all over your sensor that should be cleaned off or removed in post processing.

I know there is some cause for concern for people who want to steal your images online but dear god man that water mark is excessive, please. There are professional photographers online who use very subtle watermarks and have no problem with people stealing their intellectual property.

Sorry if that seems brutal but it's the best advice I can offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm 
Here is a great article about composition that I have read several times.

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/adv_ ... v_comp.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 pm 
So yeah, i have fixed the issue with the water mark on my lightroom, so when i upload photos next time there will only be a small watermark on the bottom left side. I see what you mean about the bracketing. I think the last photo is more balanced between the foreground and the background. All but the first photo were taken with my 17-85 kit lens (my 10-22 was broken). I agree that the composition of the photos is lacking, that is that the sky is interesting but the photo as a whole is kinda boring (i need to learn how to compose a photo and not rely off of the sky to "make" the photo). I will definitely give the posted website a couple good readings to fully understand how to make my shots better. Thank you for your advice.

Would you say that the following shot is better composition wise (i find it much too busy)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:41 am 
Yes that is a better composition, and yes it is a little busy. One trick to shooting wide angle in a busy environment is to try and isolate a single subject in the foreground by getting close to it, in this case I might try getting down close to the water in front of the falls and let the entire foreground be taken up by it.

This is a kind of similar waterfall I photographed about a year ago.

Trillium falls II by Clay Carey, on Flickr

You are doing the right thing by asking for honest advice, and you have some great photos on your flickr. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:06 pm 

Post subject: Sedona storm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:14 pm 

small attempt at the use of lines...

Sedona storm brewing by jimmy_racoon, on Flickr

great article reference ClayC

Canon 5D2 | BG-E6 Battery Grip | Canon XSi/450D | BG-E5 Battery Grip | Canon EF 17-40 f/4L | Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS | Manfrotto 055XPROB | Manfrotto 488RC2

Flickr <--Comments/Favorites welcomed