Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: beach shot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:14 pm 
hello,
i'm new to the forum and new to DSLR photography. i took this shot within the first couple days of having the camera. i am just curious as to what anyone thinks and any constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22279720@N05/2162864167/

info:
shutter: 1/250
aperture: f8
focal length: 32mm
ISO: 200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:55 pm 

Looks nice. I do however think it would have been better if the houses were excactly in the middle, dividing the picture into two halves of the same size. It's close to be that way, but not entirely as i see it.
But maybe thats just me :)

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:20 pm 
Hi smitty, and welcome to the forum!!!

I quite like the shot, as it's generally considered better to place the horizon away from the center of the picture, which you are starting to do nicely.

Check out this Wikipedia article about applying the Rule of Thirds - a useful photographic technique, especially for landscapes.

Mark

Last edited by Markh on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:27 pm 

Hi smitty526, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
I think the pic is a good start, just try not to be too symmetric. You have to decide imho: Either the beach and foreground is your main topic, then just tilt the cam down so that the horizon goes throught the upper third of the pic. If you want to emphazise the nice clouds, just tilt the cam up and let the horizon go through the lower third of the pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 pm 
i think that shot looks great.. even though the houses are in the center it doesnt seem boring because you have those pebbles (i guess thats what they are) right in the beginning so it kinda breaks it up.. you also couldve have made the shot a little bit darker but maybe not too much because the ground is dark by the sky is kind of drowned out but that just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 am 
thanks for all the feedback. it is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:53 am 
Hi Smitty
I love the beach, any beach. And I love how many different ones there are.
At first when I saw this I was like wow that is bright! The more I look at it the more I like it. I like how the color of the sand matches the color of the roof tops. And I also like the white (blown out?) of the horizon with the white in the rocks and the reflection on the water. I wonder if when you took it, the day was that bright?
My only critique is since you were shooting portrait I would have gotten really close to the rocks (shells?, what are those things) and laid out the houses as the background. Great DoF - I like everything clear. Pictures like this make me want to see more of what is around the area.

Cool shot!