Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Yosemite Valley @ 50mm
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:16 am 
I recently got back from a trip to Yosemite National Park. It just happened to be during the first storm of the season. The snow came early this year and mixed with some fall colors. I shot these with my 40d and my 50mm 1.4 lens. Its the only other lens I have besides my tokina 11-16!

Most people prefer to go wide with landscape shots, but I have been using my 50mm more and more and have been taking some of the best shots I have ever got.

Untitled by Clay Carey, on Flickr[/img]

Yosemite Worshippers by Clay Carey, on Flickr

Look closely... by Clay Carey, on Flickr

Ok... I took this one with my tokina!
Clearing Storm - Yosemite Valley by Clay Carey, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:46 am 

nice captures.

#1 do you have vertical composition of this one, I think it might have worked out better

I think pic #2 could use another frame above it, i.e. two stitched verticals as the top is a bit too cropped. otherwise very good use of the foreground verticals and i think would only be enhanced by adding to the "headroom" of the top portion of the photo.

#3, great composition.

#4 I feel is not as interesting because the horizon is smack dab in the middle, dividing the photo in to two parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:00 am 
Thanks for the critique!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:02 am 

Hi Clay,

Thanks for sharing. Yosemite is one of my favourite spots in the world but while I've visited it at every other time of the year I never made it there in winter. :(

As for focal length, whatever works to get the right balance between the various elements at different distances within the composition. A field of view equivalent to an 80mm lens might be thought of as a classic portrait lens but it's good to see counterexamples of that stereotype. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:35 am 

The last one is fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39 am 
These are some stunning photos! Its very nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:28 am 

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos. It makes me wanna visit Yosemite, hopefully some day.. :)

“Photography is about a single point of a moment. It’s like stopping time. As everything gets condensed in that forced instant. But if you keep creating these points, they form a line which reflects your life.” – Nobuyoshi Araki

site: http://www.stellarminor.wordpress.com