Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chaos
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 pm 

Today I was standing in front of this field of snow-capped sunflowers wondering whether I could produce an image that conveyed the decay of the flowers, the jumble of their stalks, and the eerie atmosphere of a field of flowers that belong to summer shivering in the cold of winter. I made a lot of shots, naturally also with close-ups of single flowers, but I found the visual chaos of this specific shot fitting.

Sunflower Field:
Sunflower Field 27536_13.jpg by Thomas, on Flickr
Shot with D300+35/2.0D @ f/8, 1/125 sec, ISO200, +1EV

In post I chose an amplification of the brown-reds and a yellowish tint for the snow which emphasized the drabness of the scene.
Best viewed at 1024 or 1920 width, so feel free to click through the image to the larger versions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:04 pm 
Looks like some disturbing painting, but I like the effect! Something different from what we're used to here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:20 am 

I was trying to figure out what made me look into this shot, it's bleak and the start of decay with a sparkle of life left in the flowers, great job with this one.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 am 

This photo has a sort of flat look that makes it seem more like a painting than a photo. I like the effect a lot. Is this something achieved in PP (and if so, could you describe in more detail what you did)? My only other comment would be that I think the vignetting on the top two corners is a little much. I don't know that I dislike it, but it doesn't seem to add much either. Very well done, overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:02 am 

That y'all for looking and your C&C!
I had overexposed by +1EV and based on that did some processing with Nik Software's HDR Efex pro based on preset 13 "The Old Cottage". Although this is only a single shot the tone-compression flattened the contrast brought out the colors in the dark stalks.
I totally agree about the "painterly aspect".
Btw. the image looks better on black. You can achieve this by clicking through the image to flickr and then on the +/loupe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 am 

The pink on the sunflowers is interesting, and I do like the overexposure. What time of day was this taken at?

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm 

It was taken at 10:38 a.m. with 8/8 clouds, only thin ones but no direct sun.
The overexposure was taken because in snow matrix metering normally underexposes quite a bit and you lose valuable information on the non-snow subjects. As I was not into a study of snow crystals that seems perfectly appropriate in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 am 
Nice, but was the overexpose so important? I was thinking that the overexpose made the snow more white. We don't have snow here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:50 pm 

The snow pushes the camera into underexposing everything non-snowy. so overexposure is important in these situations to retain shadow detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:36 pm 

I captured another view in this sunflower field. This time of two single flowers. I went for a b&w conversion - just out of gut feeling.

Sunflower 27540_52.jpg by Thomas, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:21 am 
Nice, really like a wall photograph. Look at the back sunflower, it looked like it looked a little like a bee hive, nice texture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:05 pm 

Thank's for your feedback,BNLee!
I've just printed the 1st image on A3+ and it looks gorgeous on a black background!