Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 pm 
My wife and I got up early yesterday and we decided to go take a stroll on the beach.... I have to say that she did get a little annoyed with me as we are walking out the door and I am carrying a D700, 20 1.4, a few filters, a Gitzo tripod and a cable release Grin Grin Grin Grin

Here is one of a few shots that I took.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
Cheers, joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:22 pm 

Hey Joe,

I know what you mean about dragging along equipment for a nice romantic walk. hard to balance both. Either way, you managed to squeeze in some great photos.

1) Great colors. Very refreshing blue-green feel to it. I would personally saturate them a bit more to show off the colors that much more. What are your specs for this photo? 1/4 second perhaps? My initial reaction when taking photos like this is to completely foggy the water with 10+ second exposures, but honestly, I love what you've done here. Just enough motion blur to make it dreamy, but not so much as to take away from the dynamic of the waves. Superb.

2) Good composition. Personally, I would crop it such that it's a portrait. You seem to be constraining to an aspect ratio. There are different philosophies on this. I think if it shouldn’t be in the photo, it shouldn’t be in the photo. I don't really bother constraining myself for printing purposes because typically my photos are online. If I want to print, I'll revisit the photo and consider my budget. That'll make my decision on what I want to crop to.

Sorry, trailed off there. The sun is great, good rays. Great shadows.

3) At first glance, I feel as if your DoF is too shallow. My eye is telling me that all the birds should be in focus. But that's just personal preference. I also realize that when photographing these guys, you don't really have the time to mess with such details. Also, looking at your lens, I guess you were pretty close to them, which also increases the chance of them flying away before you get your shot.

I like the emotion in this shot. But, I wouldn’t couple them with the previous too. Honestly, it looks like a winter shot. The white in the back left Feels cold to me. (probably because it was sub zero temperatures here today and I'm in that mood). Not that this is a problem. I really like that fact. The 3 bird seems to be doing their own thing and you capture a moment amongst them. Great shot.

Anyway, as always, these words are my opinion, take them for what it's worth. Great shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 pm 
Very nice shots all of them! I personally am not a fan of objects being in the centre like they are in the 2nd shot and would crop and convert it to the portrait orientation like Trevor said, but no complaints really. I don't think there's anything wrong with the last shot not matching up thematically with the first two but I find the other birds too out of focus to be the focal point and yet sufficiently sharp to be distracting. I think it would be nice if it were cropped so that only the bird on the left was in focus and also to remove the distracting bit on the left. I think you've captured a nice expression there.

Did your wife cheer up after seeing the shots? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:56 am 

Taking the camera along certainly paid off!