Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:34 pm 

Hello.
Just want to share a panorama captured earlier today, the official "the sun is back day" here i Tromsø.
The panorama is stich together manually of 5 portrait photos and adjusted seperatly to get the same colortones between the shots.

The light is wonderful up here in the north this days.

Equipment: Canon EOS 5D, EF100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS USM.
Picture quality: Medium fine jpg shoot together with RAW.

K.S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi KS, that's a beautiful shot!

You must be pleased to see the sun return again!

May I ask what focal length you had your 100-400 set at? Did you go for this longer focal length lens to minimise edge distortion during image stitching?

Also, what software do you use for panoramic stitching? Are you doing it manually using Photoshop layers? I find this can be effective for stitching, but clouds are often a problem...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:12 pm 

Hi Gordon.
The light is allmost "overkill" during this days up here. You better catch the next plane :)
Its nice to have the sun back again, but you now me. I'm found of the darkest part of the year as well.
I use 100-400 mm because its almost no perspective distortion when I use 100 mm on this one. I dont have any adjustable panorama head on my tripod and I've ended up with the 100-400 set to 100mm as the most useful lense for this kind of work.
On this picture I use "semi" manual layers. Here I let the PS stitch them together in normal mode because my experience is that PS have often have big problems with skies(in advanced mode), spesially clear skies with no clouds. I also often find it more useful to let PS generate layers who I'm able adjust later in the process. So you see, I try to get some help from the merge function in PS. When I'm satisfied with the colortones, I flatten the images and remove any visible transitions between the pictures. If nessary. Sometimes its ok, sometimes the automatic function is really a long way out of target :)
I assume there is more useful programs to do this easier, but I find PS ok for me.
An important thing is to get rid of the perspective distortions who appear because of position of the lense according to the "swingpoint" of the head.
I belive thats a long answer to your question. Yes, its because of the minimum egde distortion. I also find it important to have min. 40% overlay between the pictures when shooting.

Well, its bedtime. I gone to try to be in position when the "blur hour" appear to morrow morning. For me, the best light last for approx. 10 min before its to bright again.

K.S