Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shin Flower
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:13 am 
Please tell me what is the concern when taking this kind of shot.
I want to get improve.

Here is the my setting:
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/6.3
Focal Length: 30 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi Stephen, when it comes to night photos like these, it's all a case of experimenting until you get a result you like. For the best control, I'd avoid auto, aperture or shutter priority modes and go for manual instead. The camera's metering system may try and tell you that the exposure will be too much or too little, but judge with your eyes.

I normally fix the aperture at, say, f4, then adjust the shutter speed until I get the effect I'm after. And if the exposure is gettinglong, you'll need somewhere to rest or balance your camera - like a tripod or a ledge.

Another way of looking at it is to ask what you think of the shot? How would you like to improve it, or are you happy with it?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:55 am 
Hi Stephen.
I agree with Gordon, take long exposure pictures using manual settings.
I usually take these kind of pictures using smaller aperture to get a larger depth of field. I mostly use f/8-f/16, but it also depends on the lens of course.
What lens did you use to take this picture?

Last thing, as Gordon said, the most important thing is deciding what you do and don't like in the picture in order to get better.

You can see some of my pictures (the ones I like the most) in my picasaweb:
http://picasaweb.google.com/amitziliron/Photography

Liron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:43 pm 
Hi Stephen, I like your picture but I can't give you any advice I'm afraid...I'm still trying to get my head around what settings to use in daytime, let alone nighttime :)

Liron, I really like your pictures! That sunset is amazing, it looks like a spaceship is about to come out of the clouds. That nighttime one with the cars is excellent! I love the way those buildings are in the centre and also reflected in the river...nice one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:22 am 
Wow. thanks for all the advices.
Now I have the ideal hoe to deal with this kinda scene.
And yet, the most important thing I learn is,"what storey shall I tell through the picture?" before taking any shot.

Thanks, mate.

P/S: Liron, i like the night city scene that you took, Is that a hard way to find a position to take this shot??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:56 am 
Thanks, guys, I like the night picture too. Just took it last week.
It was taken from a bridge over a highway (in Tel Aviv, Israel), just a few minutes drive from my home, so it was easy to find the spot.

Good luck with night shooting. Post some pictures, I'd like to see your results.

Liron.