Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:07 pm 
Hi All,

I took some shots of Melbourne city in Australia last night in light of the event of the lunar eclipse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shank2007/

Please let me know what you think. Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Shogo, nice shots!

What focal length did you use for the eclipse? You've got some nice exposures there...

I bolted my camera to the back of a telescope for the eclipse and grabbed these shots: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... =7498#7498

But what I really wanted were some landscape or urban shots showing the eclipse in context - probably as a sequence. Didn't manage this time!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:50 am 
I thought they stopped using the Crown fire towers, guess i was wrong.

How do you find the D80 and the 18-200mm lense? the d80 is on my list but was considering the 18-135mm due to price

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:27 am 
Thanks Gordon! :D BTW your shots were awesome! I didnt even realise you could bolt a DSLR to telescope at all..shows i've got a long way to go..

The shots was taken with my 18-200mm at 300mm max focal length (200mm x 1.5 crop factor) on the D80. The settings taken were using:

- ISO 400
- f5.4 Aperture
- 5 sec shutter speed
- In NEF format, converted to high res jpg.
- Manfrotto 055BPro
- Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head.

I guess i'm still new to using DSLR, took me 10 trial shots before i could get something remotely decent but i guess practice makes perfect..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:31 am 
G'day Jay,

I thought so as well...until yesterday. The D80 & 18-200mm lens is combo is awesome, but as I am new to digital photography, it gets me through pretty much from wide-angle to zoom.

Got the lens & D80 from JB Hifi in the city for a bargain as well, just under..$2400.

If you could afford it, i'd recommend it as a good all-rounder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:05 pm 
yeah just a nudge over my max budget. $2000 is pushing it, the researching and shopping is becoming frustrating hahaha usually 2000 grand for a camera would be abit crazy but I'm tryin to contribute the money towards it as an investment for a photography course I'll be applying for in the next week or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:47 am 
I feel for ya matey.. i had to stretch out a fair bit, but i wouldnt look back on this with any regrets...

where abouts are u doing your course? I'm thinking of doing the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:19 am 
RMIT in the city, haven't decided on the bachelor or the diploma yet but i guess which ever one excepts me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:31 am 
I bought the Nikon D80 with the 18-200mm VR lens last night. Bought body and lens individually totaling $2127 all up. Comes with standard in box accessories, no memory card. I went to Ted's camera's and they quoted me $2800.

I got it brand new on Ebay and I know its risky buying on ebay but because the saving was so large I decided to take a risk. So we shall see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:57 am 
Ted's ok, but they're not the best...but heaps better than Michaels in terms of price...

However, for quality of service, they both were pretty bad, considering that they 'pride' themselves in providing great customer and after sales support, both i found rather lacking...more so with Michaels.

I had a done deal at JBHifi instead. The blonde who served me was great, and she was willing to negotiate to get my business and it wasnt all great lip service. Got the package of D80, 18-200 VR lens, 4 GB SD card, 5 yr warranty and HOYA HMC UV filter for $2700..

Michaels and Ted couldnt match that at all..but what bothered me was the fact that they didnt even attempt to match or better the deal.. i walked out a happy man after all!..

However, i did goto Ted's to get a Manfrotto 055BPro and 864RC2 ball head and somehow got it all for $320.. Just today, went back to JBHifi and got myself a nice cheap Nikkor Prime 50mm f1.8 lens :) Quite happy with it atm...will take it out for a test tomorrow..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:38 pm 
I went to JB HIFI just out of curiosity but they didn't have the D80 on the shelf. but it seems like you've built a nice little set up now. let me know how the 50mm goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:28 am 
Cheers mate, it took me a while to save up and even then the misus *agrees* that it was money sort of well spent..

Been trying to convince a workmate to join camp Nikon, but alas he just missed the bandwagon... we walked to JBHifi on thursday and thats when they were out of stock..but the sales person said that more is on order, they're expecting another delivery between tue - thurs next week.

I was waiting for them to stock up on some HMC HOYA's, as I need a 72 & 52mm circular polariser..