Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Through the window
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:14 am 
Any tips on how to take good photos from the airplane's windows? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:07 am 
Check this Out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:07 am 
I took this a while ago with my compact camera

I wish i lighned the window up a little better though. I know when you take photo's through glass its best to press the lens against it, but as airoplain glass is double or whatever im not sure what would happen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 pm 

See my effort here:

Shot with 18-200mm VR @ 22mm f/8 1/1600sec ISO200 -1EV exposure-comp, image-style brilliant, postprocessing: +1EV exposure-comp, S-curve for enhanced contrast in the clouds, no white-balance tweaking (although I tried).

General remark: normally the clouds are so bright that you have no prob shooting with short shutter-speeds. The negative exposure-comp when shooting is ideal to capture all the bright tones in the clouds - even -2EV is ok. Yu can bring the right brightness back afterwards in postprocessing after applying the contrast-curve.
Try to avoid sun at your front-lens at all cost, even try to avaoid sun at your window. Those windows normally have scratches and those scratches will be visible, when the sun shines on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:21 am 
Great tips :D . For great examples check these out! Site mixes my worlds together just enough, airplanes and photography! I cant get enough of it!

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... INDOW_VIEW

Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:41 am 

And here's another one in black&white. I switched back between color and b&w time and again but in the end found the color more distracting than adding to the image.
The prob with colors from an airplane is the blue haze you get. You can try to adjust white balance, but my experience is that the image suddenly looks unnaturally "warm".
So b&w might be a solution to this problem.

Another remark: While the landscape orientation above emphazises the width of the sky and is certainly appropriate for presenting phantastic clouds, the portrait-orientation of the shot below gives you a good impresion of depth, that is the land down below your plane and below the clouds...
That was the reason why I didn't crop it to 5:4 (as I often do with portrait oriented images) because that would have cut off either the horizon or the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:23 am 

This is such a cool thread! I am amazed at you guys!!

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:21 am 

Hey Patti, can you be more specific?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:27 pm 
Well I just got back on Sunday and here is one i took, I was on my way to Malta and we were passing the Alps. The window was very scratched and dirty (ryanair for you!) but i couldn't resist taking this picture.

I put the exposure down to get the nice deep blue sky!

Camera: Olympus E-400
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/8
Focal Length: 14 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias:-1 EV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:44 pm 
you came to visit malta? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:45 pm 
Well i landed in Malta but i spent the week on Gozo. Hopefully i'll post some pictures up later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 pm 
I spent a week on Gozo back in the August of '93, spent the whole week dodging from building to building to keep in the shade.
While there saw a postcard on a shop stand that said... some countries drive on the left... some countries drive on the right.... here in Malta we drive in the shade... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:23 pm 

yes, T. the B&W shot just is increcible...I loved that one best, because of the clouds, almost at eye level, yet still above them, the light, how the photo shows illumination, trasparently solid...not only the tops of the clouds, which somehow are always a mystery, like the dark side of the moon... bringing the brightness..the brilliance of the cloud bank, but the depth of the cloud is displayed, the illumination, then the shadows, as you managed to peek threw the clouds. The "spotlight" effect on the "town", surrounded by the fields, of varied hue..the mosiac of repeating lines, the angles, all sharp edged..perfectly symetrical, yet jumbled, too..almost frantic.
there you are, lofty above the scene, giving it a serene far away look, almost as how God would view the earth..on an "ordinary" day. Captured perfectly. That is what a great photo is to me, bringing the ordinary to the eye, presence and grandness. Calmac does it, too with landscapes. The landscapes speak for them self, like they are viewing us right back...And so does this photo.

patti.