Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:53 pm 
Saturday 26th of April I will be off to Indonesia for little over two weeks.
I will be touring the islands Java and Bali.

Has anyone been?
Any suggestions about what/who I should certainly see/photograph?

I also hope to be able to show off some nice shots when I'm back :D

Last edited by kevin.verelst on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:14 am 
Hi kevin.verelst,

I spent a few weeks on Bali many moons ago and there are certainly no shortage of picture opportunities.

Besides the beaches and the cities and towns, I'd warmly recommend getting yourself down and into the overgrown volcano there (forget it's name).

In addition, a whole lot of the garden furniture in Europe is made in Nali - a certain Teak-like wood they use. Getting inside one of those places where they make them is very interesting.

For night-shots there are a great many restaurants that serve their food directly on the beach with torches and tables. Shots of that you cannot miss..lol.

Sounds like a great trip you've got planned - looking forward to see shots from there if you'd share some!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:32 pm 
Hi kevin.verelst,
Well, there are many beautiful places in Bali, most of them are beaches such as : Kuta, Nusa Dua, Sanur, etc.
Please visit our official website
You can see beautiful sunset in Bali. You can take portrait, landscape photograpgh, etc.
Since i'm a new beginner in photography, I will take any chances to go there again ;). Try to visit bedugul, you will see a beautiful view..this is the famous place and must to be visited...
But that's not for landscape only, you can see art&culture event also.
That's why Bali called Island of God ;)

Btw, if you wanna visit Java Island, which part of Java ? Well, there are many beautiful places that you can visit from West Java, Central Java and East Java. In West Java, there are many places like : Bandung (mountain & valley view). Central Java, you can see one of 7 wonders (at least when I was a kid) called Borobudur Temple, also many other temples like Prambanan and you can see any other historical places there. East Java has many places similar like West Java and Central Java.
If you need to know more, visit Indonesia Tourism site

I hope that can help you to schedule your trip...and have a nice trip...
btw, how long you will be there ? Well if only couple weeks, I hope you can enjoy the trip.... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:20 pm 
thank you very much for the usefull info and websites

I'm going to tour java and than Bali. 2 nights in the same hotel and than on to the next one.

On java: Bandung, prambanan and Borobudurare on our schedule.
We will also visit: Tangkuban Perahu - Ciater - Bogor - Jogyakarta - Solo - Kalibaru . Oh and also the Bromo vulcano. the we will go to the top to see the uprise. i'm really loooking forward to get some good shots of that. (although I don't function well when I need to get up at 3:30 in the morning :D )

On bali: Lovina - Munduk - Candidasa - Ubud - Tampak Siring - Tanah Lot - Sanur

Of couse we will have several stops on the way. especially on Bali:
for example: Besakih , Beji Tempel , Tirta Empul well , lake of Batur ,...

Guess i will be more tired when I get back, than when I leave on holiday.

As for portaits: do people mind that you take their picture? (I would ask before of course)
I'm not used to do portaits but this is really something I want to more into while I think it's a very valuable aspect of travel photography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 am 
hi kevin.verelst.
It seems that you have hectic schedule.

Generally, indonesian peoples are welcome if you want take a picture for
portraits photograph, do not to worry about that.

All the places that you will visit are nice among the best ;)
It also depends on your tour guide how to manage that hectic schedule (around 2-3 days).
About the sunrise on Bromo Mountain, you need to go early, because if its already 4:30 am, I'm afraid you can't catch that moment (depends how far is your hotel).

I hope you can enjoy the trip and take valuable photographs that you look for. Do not forget your gears and I can't wait to see the result ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 pm 

It seems busy indeed.
You've got most interesting places.
If you visit Bromo, you can leave from Ngadisari. From there it's 1,5 hour if you walk fast. Anyway make sure you're at the top before 5:30.

Eating at the beach (like LahLahSr said) at Bali, you can do at Jimbaran. It's on the road to Nusa Dua and the fish tastes really good. Try the Bawal.

The Tankuban Prahu is nice, easy to reach. You can drive all the way to the top, but many people, especially during the weekend (you can drive there from Jakarrta).

Not mentioned yet is the Dieng plateau. Take some time there to walk around.

The mountain at Bali is the Gunung Agung. It's sacred and the Besakih temple is on it's slopes.

So, "slamat jalan"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 pm 
hi, I'm back since a few weeks.
I did a little photoshopping and here are some results of 2 weeks Indonesia.
Please note that I'm not a big fan of photoshop, just use it for cropping and some little retouching. Especially when while I got about 1000 jpeg to do;
Anyway the results of 2 weeks of shooting were a little disappointing when i saw the pictures on my pc. But nothing that I can do about that now.

feedback (pos+neg) will be appriciated !!!

Last edited by kevin.verelst on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:45 pm 

I like both Bromo pictures and Tanah Lot as well.
The first one has a nice reflection!

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:27 pm 

Looks like the trip was worth it! Great captures, I like the place with the ocean all around..the island getaway...oh, how much fun would that be?

As always, the water is so beautiful..the colors so pure...am glad you brought back some great ones..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:51 am 
thank for the responses up till now.

Patti, yes it would be a great getaway.
It's called Tanah Lot ("Land in the Middle of the sea").
Unfortunately it's a temple and I don't think that tourist are still allowed.
In my case we weren't even able to reach it because of high tide.
Shooting from the main land was the only option.

I want to show more pictures...
Does anyone know a great (free) website to post many pictures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:30 am 
Hi Kevin,
Welcome back! I think you had a great trip there and hope you were not tired as you said at your previous posting about the itinerary.
Anyway, Nice pictures.

If you want to post your picture you can register for free at www.flickr.com ... but off course they only allow you to upload picture not more than 100MB (CMIIW)..if you want more capacity you need to pay :p

There is another sites like imagevenue.com (similar like photobucket that you used it for posting all you pictures here) but they have some requirements such as:
* Image Types Allowed: jpeg, jpg
* maximum file size: 3 Megs
Pros :
* unlimited storage hosting period
* unlimited bandwidth
* no registration required

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:39 am 
I already have a flickr account,
don't use it very often anymore.
I used to put my somewhat better pictures there.

I put all my pictures from this trip on fotopic. (250MB free space)
http://kevinverelst.fotopic.net
Warning: there are a lot of crappy shots on there!!!!! :)