Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:01 pm 

In 24 days, I'll fly away to Finland (Helsinki only, so only southern parts) and the capital of Estonia, Tallinn. I will be away from the 13th till the 19th with my classmates and three teachers.
I was wondering whether you have any tips for me.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:07 pm 
Hey Bjorn,

sounds like a great trip!! I haven't been to Finland, but I did spent a few weeks in the Baltic nations - a week of which was enjoyed in Talinn.

If I were able to go back there now, I'd definitely plan some night-photo excursions in the heart of Talinn. Lot's of narrow cobblestoned streets. When I was there, there were no sodium-vapor lights and the lighting was very interesting.

Hit that enoumously tall church tower (forget thename) for some spectacular vistas of the city too.

I hope you will share some shots with us when you come back. Enjoy!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:16 am 

Have fun, and take lots of shots...I have never been out of this country, and I love to see the world with you all. So, we will be waiting for you when you come back...yipeeeee!!

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:38 am 
Not really, finlad is a pretty nice place i heard from people that have gone there. Estonia is nice, but of course there you have to have an eye on your stuff...

but all in all enjoy the trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 pm 

Thanks for your responses!

LahLahSr: Because it's a schooltrip, I won't be able to take photos in Tallinn at night, the whole week is planned, and even as the offcial photographer*, I'm not able to change the planning.
(* I'm the only one with a higher-end DSLR, and have been appointed official photographer by one of the teachers. I'm not getting paid or anything :( ).
Patti: I'll be posting Finland images after I come back, on my Dutch Gallery (see link in signature), but for cameralabs I'll also post some shots on Flickr and post some in this thead.
alex168: I already heard that theft was a bit of a problem in Estonia, but thanks for the tip. I'll take a lock with me for my camerabag.

BTW: Does anybody know whether you can drink water from a tap in Finland?

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:05 pm 
Yes you can drink the tap water in FIN, no problem! in all the countrys up here in Scandinavia you can drink out of the tap :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:55 pm 
and be sure to keep your batteriet etc in a warm place. I think it's still pretty damn cold up there still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:30 pm 

Thanks for the posts alex168 and afflaf!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:34 pm 
i've only been to nothern finland, which is very cold but people are great and so is the food and drink.

I believe the south is quite different and this time of year its not really cold (mid teens Celcius).

The solar cycle is also very odd in the winter its only light for a few hours and in the summer is light for a long time ... could be good for photos but means you'll have to stay up late and early for dawn or dusk.

Either way you'll have a great time