Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:32 pm 
I'm trying to figure out how much memory I'm going to need. We're not going to take the laptop, trying to limit how much value we're dragging out there. I'm going to Rivera Maya, which is south of Cancun Mexico for 10 nights.

Questions:

How much difference does RAW effect pictures?

Are there certain types that are more effected by RAW, or JPEG? (example, night pictures, or day pictures, people pictures, large detailed landscapes, or closeups of a bird or flower)

I have 2 Sandisc 4GB Ultra II cards, and I can borrow one more 4GB.

So that's 12GB's for 10 days. figuring 220 pics in RAW thats' only 660 pictures. Thats' not all that much I don't think. But if in JPEG, we all know that's probably more than enough.

Thanks for your advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 pm 
I shoot exclusively in RAW. I don't do much traveling however. The main reason I use RAW is that I like to be able to edit my pictures in the computer quite a bit. If you are sure that you will get the best possible exposure, color balance, etc. you can shoot in JPEG without a problem and get more pictures. Otherwise I think RAW would be the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:46 pm 
go for jpeg+raw so you have both when shooting. IMO all you have to do if you are running low on space if do delete the crap photos. I do that when i need to get some space. Of around 100 i might take, i might keep and think, yeah those are some really awesome shots, only five to ten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:47 pm 
hey csmonte,

you can get portable solutions now that doesn't require you to haul your expensive laptop with you. They are essentially portable DVD burners with card slots.

Unless you have a burning desire to see and edit your shots during the trip, you could consider that as an option - on the other hand: how much for card-RAM can you get for the same price and would that be more useful to you?

I have an advertisement somewhere in one of my photo-magazines. I can look for if you can't Google it and is interested.

The trick with RAW is that for those 999 shots that you don't blow up to poster size, JPEG is great: smaller prints and your PC monitor.

Then you get that one KILLER SHOT, but the exposure and colors are not exactly like you want it. RAW gives you more range and control to post process.

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation..lol.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:14 am 
if u have an ipod check this thread out it might help you out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:10 pm 

Forget about jpg for critical shots!
Go for pure RAW (you can generate the jpgs later). :!:
Just restrict yourself to keeping the keepers :twisted:
12GB should be fine for 10 days, that's approx 100-120 images a day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:30 pm 

With your good eye, you may just capture the photo of the year...so I would hate for you to be confined in Jpeg, when perhaps your hearstopping shot needs a tad of a tweak...in Raw, you will become much more selective and disciplined, (did I say that) with the photos you do choose to keep...and when you get them all home, your manipulations will be limitless...I vote for Raw, too..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:12 pm 
thanks for the reply's . The input is helpful. I am thinking similar to you all. I think I need to shoot RAW, and just force myself to delete the bad ones right away, or before the next day go through the card. While I haven't mastered any type of editing, nor do I even barely know what to do. The Program that came with my 40D "Digital Photo Professional" Seems to help out, mostly with sharpening and white balance right now. But I'm sure when I learn shooting in RAW will give me a better chance for that "best shot"

In fact my work has an employee photo competition, its Company wide, internationally, and a section for US only. So you'll be I'll be shooting for one of those. :D

thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm 
csmonte wrote:
The Program that came with my 40D "Digital Photo Professional" Seems to help out, mostly with sharpening and white balance right now.

I have that software too, it came with my camera as well, its good for "basic" editing but ti doesnt fix ur levels really good, but you can sure fix the D-lightning and the color balance, the sharpness and convert the RAW files into JPEG rather quickly while this takes alot of time using Photoshop i think.

srry for the offtopic :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:56 am 
A portable photo-jukebox is very handy, Even after transferring, I don't reformat my cards until I've completely run out of cards, and then do I being reusing cards. I do this just in case something happens so I have a backup. On average, one day of photography for me would run through 2 4GB cards. I shoot raw and normal JPEG for flexibility. 12GB for ten days is reasonable, but I'd be very conscious of my shutter finger and probably would end up being less creative. I just wouldn't feel as happy to try new angles or ideas knowing I'd have limited memory space to think about.