Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 pm 

I am a newbie in this field. I have Panasonic G5 + 14-42mm + 45-140mm+small lowpro bag, which is suffient for my camera and both lenses. I am going to Travel Grand Canyon+Antelope+Vegas+Coral Pink Sand Dunes+Kelso Dunes in this month end.
Most of the time in my travel, I will have lot of light due to desert and clean sunny climate. I am planning to take a basic, light weighted tripod.
I was checking on Tripods. Below url is for Slik Compact II Tripod. Will it have subject to vibration, as this is light weighted ? Others recommended tripds seems to be out of my budget.
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Slik-Compact-II ... in_qqq_qqq
I have LUMIX G Vario 14-42mm lens and H-FS45150K 45-150mm Lumix G Series Lens, which came with this camera as kit.
Should I consider some like Hoya 52mm (HMC UV / Circular Polarizer / Warm) ? Here is URL - http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Circular-Pol ... a+kit+52mm
Or some individual filter or something else, I will require for my travel ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:55 pm 

I bought a $20 tripod about 10 years ago. It's pretty beaten-up but works fine - if I use it.

I haven't used it since I bought primes for my G3. Even in the middle of the night under street lighting, I can take hand-held shots without a tripod or image stablisation.

I took my tripod on a 1-month RV trip across California. Except for a couple of shots of stars, I never used it once.

Most new photographers have a tripod on the checklist, but perhaps don't really know when they'll need it. Instead of a tripod, have you considered the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7?

Panasonic G3: 9-18mm, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 pm 

Thanks for the reply Kimchi,
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is around 400$ in price. I am sorry, if I am asking very basic question, but I am new to this field and still learning it.
I already have 14-42mm + 45-140mm lenses. 20mm f/1.7 is alternative/replacement of any of my kit lens or it is add on ?
I am not sure, in what conditions, I will use 14-42mm + 45-140mm or 20mm f/1.7. Can you please clarify on this ?
Regards
Abhishek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:17 am 

The Panasonic 20mm can let in more than 4x the light your kit lens can. This means that you would very rarely need to use a tripod.

If you're new to photography, then you probably don't yet know which equipment you need for your type of photography. I suggest you just stay with the camera and those 2 kit lenses and go out and shoot. They will probably cover 95% of your needs.

The tripod would help you with night-time shots. The UV filter is just for protecting your lens. Unless you have a super-expensive lens or are clumsy, they're not worth bothering with. The warm filter does something you can easily do by altering settings on your camera (white balance) or doing it in software later. The circular polarizer (CPL). Can darken clear-blue skies or make shots featuring water clearer. Only the CPL (digital cameras need "circular" PL) would be of any real use - especially in the environment you plan on visiting. CPL slightly reduces the light entering your camera and are adjustable by turning them. It's only effective under clear blue skies.

I suggest you buy just the CPL (and forget about the others).
The tripod would be useful for night shots with your kit lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 am 

Ok. I will go with your suggestions and would like to buy CPL. I have few more questions on this.
My Panasonic G5 which had kit lens of 14-42mm (G Vario 1:3.5-5.6/14-42 ASPH) and 45-140mm (G Vario 1:40.0-5.6/45-150 ASPH).
Please help me buying correct and worthy filter for my lens, specially for my travel purpose. I have few questions
1) As per my lens sizes, which filter size, I should choose ? 52mm or 62mm or something else ?
2) I was reading about filters and found that Hoya filters are good, but there are many. Can somebody suggest me, which one should I go for ?
3) Normal CPL should be ok or should I go for B+W CPL ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:20 pm 

It tells you on the end of your lens what the filter sizes are. It's a Greek symbol followed by a number. You should be fine with a Hoya CPL. This brand is pretty well respected.