Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 am 

Hi guys,

I'm after some recommendations as to which lenses you would take on a 10 week trip through Central America? I will be visiting Mexico, Belize, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica & El Salvador.

I like the idea of street/urban photography and expect to see some cool things along the way, but the last time I traveled off the beaten track like this, it was well before I owned an SLR.

My normal style photography is more landscapes at the beach and sunrises etc. My current camera and lens set up is: Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF f4 24-105mm L, Sigma f1.4 30mm.

I'm toying with the idea of a f2.8 70-200mm undecided on Canon or Sigma yet, but this thing looks very bulky, has anyone ever traveled with these lenses? I'm sure I would certainly love the lenses but just wanted to get someones thoughts on the practicalities with using them whilst travelling.

My other thought was just to shoot with my 24-105mm and then mix it up with a wide angle 10-22mm to create some cool angles.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Feedback :D

Cheers,
Richie

photography by [ fresh ]
beach, travel & street photography
http://www.facebook.com/photographybyfresh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Richie, I've done a lot of travelling and for me the most valuable lens is a very wide angle zoom.

Looking at your setup, the widest you have is 24-105mm, which on a cropped body isn't very wide.

So I'd get the Canon 10-22mm, which would be a superb complement to your 24-105. It's also not that big.

A 70-200 f2.8 is very large and heavy. I'd only take it if I were shooting portraits or sports every day! If you don't need the f.28 aperture, consider the 70-300mm L lens. It's still not exactly small, but it does have more reach.

But for me with your kit and trip, i'd definitely get the 10-22. Perfect for landscapes, architecture, interiors etc.

Best of luck, Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 am 

thanks Gordan, this is just the response I needed :)

I think I know what I'll go for now!!

Cheers,
Richie

photography by [ fresh ]
beach, travel & street photography
http://www.facebook.com/photographybyfresh